Gibson Brands Forums

My guitar sounds awful at open mic nite

tw2_usa

Started doing open mic's lately with my entry-level Martin dread (D-16rgt) which is boomy and bass heavy and tends to muddy up but lots of nice sounds when not overplayed. (I'm hoping to transition to some paying gigs to save up for my Gibbie! - I didn't know I was a Gibson player when I started 18 months ago...)

No pick up, guitar is mic'ed through a Shure 57 and at another place a Shure 58.

It sounds AWFUL. And last night I was being so attentive to the playing vs. the singing, too, and still, yuck. Is it because I'm not used to hearing my acoustic amped/pa'd? It's pitchy and sour and sounds NOTHING like it does when I'm playing unamped. I know there are variables with sound boards, pa's etc., but what I'm really asking is if there is an inherent learning curve that one must go through to accustom to live playing? More ear training and translating? Should it really sound THAT different? It bums me out because it's such a distraction.

Well.... we all know the problem is most likely that your not playing a Gibson! :-k

If your Martin is bass heavy, have you tried a lower gauge of string? I realize I should probably have 13's on my Gibson AJ, but it just sounds better for my style of playing with 12's on it. 13's just have too many overtones and what not when amplified. I do like the sound of them when unplugged but prefer 12's for bending and playing fingerstyle as well.

Started doing open mic's lately with my entry-level Martin dread (D-16rgt) which is boomy and bass heavy and tends to muddy up but lots of nice sounds when not overplayed.

No pick up' date=' guitar is mic'ed through a Shure 57 and at another place a Shure 58.[/quote']

I'd kind of expect a martin playing into a an SM57 to sound bass heavy. Need some EQ to make it sound right...

Its a Martin...its supposed to have some bass...and a 57 will accentuate that....

It shouldn't sound terrible! My suspicion is your mic placement is less than perfect. For instance, If you have too much bass, then odds are you've got that mic crammed down the soundhole. Try aiming the mic at different parts of the guitar- even more to the upper bout. And play with distance from the mic as well.

Nothing will sound good with poor mic technique.

Thanks, this is a big help. I'm gonna pick up a pickup for the sound hole, just a cheapie Dean Markley since that's all I can afford right now. I don't want to feel chained to the mic anymore and with your suggestions, the pickup should help me progress.

Archived