Gibson Brands Forums

Halloween costumes???

ledzep59

Well I am going to visit my friends in Memphis (I have already done the Gibson tour and do not have enough to buy a guitar from there so don't mention it). I plan to be Robin Hood for Halloween, it is the first time I have dressed up in a few years. Any great costumes out there?

Well, the green for Robin Hood might go well with the Mallard ducks in that big old downtown hotel if they still have them.

Ain't been there in years. Enjoy the music!

Anyway, it's odd, but I keep getting told to take off my "mean old guy" mask until halloween. Hmmmm.

m

Not really with the halloween stuff... but I can do a US Infantry officer 1860-80... <grin>

m

You into re-enacting? Blue or Gray?

Saaaaay :-s I just noticed Milod. Who's that prettty young filly in your avatar?

Me, I don't normally dress up for H'ween, but I may dress up as Don Quixote to give out candy this year. I put the costume together for tilting at wind turnbines.. I mean windmills. =D>

Two cheap ($7 truck stop type) sewn together with ahole in the middle to wear as a poncho or serape. Two sections of my apple picker, sans the picking basket. Then topped off with a store bought celtic like shield and a viking helmet, sans the horns.

Leilani and I always "dress up" for our Halloween gigs.

This year we are going as Gypsies.

Last Saturday was supposed to be our first Halloween gig. At least it was when they booked us 6 months or so ago. However they changed it.

So we got to the gig, to find the people coming in had tuxedos and evening gowns. They decided to have a fancy affair instead of a Halloween party.

So we minimized our costumes but still looked out of place. We apologized to the guy who booked us and he said that it's no problem, he booked us for our music, not our clothes.

At the end of the night he paid us, thanked us, and told us the music was perfect.

All's well that ends well.

Insights and incites by Notes

Not really with the halloween stuff... but I can do a US Infantry officer 1860-80... <grin>

m

Exactly <Big grin> I can do a fair imitation of a 12th century Norman man-at-arms or a 9th century Icelandic Viking... =D>

It is one of the perks to reenactment... always have a ready made costume...

The young lady in that pix is Jr. Miss Rodeo South Dakota. Very nice and talented girl, excellent horsewoman.

As for "blue or gray," once the USA went to blue standard, only a few years had the "gray" during the war.

I do a pre-war capt., then changes during the war, then other changes after the 1872 uniform regs changed. "Uniform" in that period wasn't what it is today, especially on the frontier and for officers. The John Wayne movies with military scenes during the 1860s CW where officers had wide trouser stripes is wrong, btw. Shudda been very narrow in the service branch color - noncoms had the wider stripes. That changed with the '72 regs.

If you checked the state records with my full name, you'd see I was born July 15, 1842, in Washington, VT, and enlisted in the 112th Illinois Aug. 28, 1862.

The persona is a combination of my great grandfather and me, along with some real occurrences for the 112th, where my writing and education background brought a quick commission, and... after a horse wreck and during recuperation at Washington city, I met Inspector Gen. Randolph Marcy who gave me a special post-war mission of updating his "Prairie Traveler" book and to determine wisdom of mounting infantry as had been done with the 112th. That got me to the Bozeman Trail and Ft. Phil Kearny during the Red Cloud unpleasantness, and...

Great fun, truly. Marcy, btw, was McClellan's father in law and didn't get his permanent star until '78. Politics, I think. Both were excellent writers.

Back to costumes: I knew a young lady, though - this is not a joke - who went to work on Halloween "costume day" as a barrel racer. The boss sez, "but you dress like that every day..." <grin>

Be dogged. A quick i'net search revealed the 112th Illinois drew from Stark and Henry counties. My great-great grand pappy settled in, what was then, Henry county back in the 1850's. Emigrated from Bavaria. Shoveled coal on a steam ship to earn his passage to the states. Came in through New Orleans, then up the Mississipp, then up the Illinois to the town of Henry. Which, by the way is no longer in Henry county. Polyticks don't you know.

Family legend has it he served with the Union for about 9 months. He was discharged because of ailments incurred from sleeping on the cold ground. Legend also has it he was in Missouri. No official records record him though. The most 'official' record we have is what a cousin describes as a 'scrap of paper' with his name and others on a list of ready, willing and able to serve.

TommyK....

Enlisted 112th Illinois at Geneseo, Henry County, late August 1862. Left VT at roughly age 15 to head west. Served past the end of the war until mustered out with the rest of the regiment.

The 112th initially was sent to the western slope of the mountains to guard supply trains, etc.; ended up in the Atlanta campaign. Twice as I understand it converted to mounted infantry for that type of duty. Still, as with many other units north and south that weren't "front line" in major battles, high casualty rates. Illness too was a major enemy on both sides. Those guys had guts just note the dangers of life in large military encampments.

Great grandpa's final CW diary (I personally believe there were at least 2, more probably 3) is on the Illinois genweb. I have no idea what he was doing for a living in Illinois. After the war I'm told he was a miller in Missouri, then Iowa.

I once did a piece comparing his relatively happy-go-lucky diary with a parallel one of the future Dakota Territorial governor who was geographically close enough several times that he and my great grandpa could have seen each other. The future gov. nearly died several times from illness - but no release from service. His diary was all doom and gloom. He ended up a big shot, great grandpa just a guy, which does make one wonder. <grin>

m

Archived