Gibson Brands Forums

Today's Guitar Pricing----investment grade?

dacookster

I read the thread a few weeks back about 'guitars as investments' and thought it was a wonderful read.

So I have to raise this question.....the pricing of some 'vintage' or 'high profile' guitars seem to be very very low these days. A quick check of Craigslist and Ebay show a decreased valuation, in my mind, of many many guitars.

Now I'm not an expert in many categories. It seems like Explorers and V's can be had in the 500-750 range, per ebay completed listing. I've been on a hunt for a BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme, and have seen what I deem to be some really impressive prices on these, if you can find one or two. A brand new Koa Supreme went for 1550 on ebay----new those run around $3300, I believe dealer cost is about $1900. But don't quote me.

A couple of weeks ago I picked up my first LP, a 90 standard, which, per ebay, goes for around 1800 or so. I got it for considerably less than that.

I don't know enough about LP's or PRS's to make a valid judgement, but I've heard there were a couple PRS's that were stupid low in pricing. Of course, those were like 4k, and that's out of my price range.

Thoughts, opinions?

Archived