Gibson Brands Forums

1934 Jumbo at Gryphon

rar

The 1934 Jumbo at Gryphon that I mentioned a couple of months ago is now available.

295311.jpg

Here's a link to a webpage with more pictures and info: '34 Jumbo webpage

World someone please buy it before I decide to take out a second mortgage?

-- Bob R

Well I guess they're not interested in trading up. I mean, mine is only 11 years old and theirs is what, almost 80 years old?

I suppose I would be willing to do an even trade. They wouldn't even have to pay me a little extra.

If they twisted my arm, I would even cover the shipping charges.

Oh well. I suppose I'll have to give someone else a shot at it.

Ol Hoss' Dream Guitar...

Bob' date=' have you played this?[/quote']

I played it for a half-hour or so when it came in. (I figured I was relatively safe since Frank said he was going to do some work on it before they put it up for sale.) What can I say? Real nice guitar -- big and quick and raw and powerful and all that stuff they always say about the Jumbo is true. And that wonderful V-neck! If it's still around this weekend, I thought I might take my late-'42-or-maybe-early-'43 J-45 in and A/B the two. I think it will turn out that this Jumbo compares to the J-45 in about the same way that a modern repro Jumbo compares to a good modern J-45.

Excuse me for a bit--Gotta go get some lotto tickets.

Lotto tickets!! 8-[ Why didn't I think of that??!! I'm off to 7-11.

-- Bob R

It is sad that these guitars sell for so much money. I have a 1935 Trojan that is worth a fortune and sounds like what it is - a fairly cheap guitar made from woods that happened to be available in the middle of the Great Depression.

Mine has no binding on the back and a V neck - perhaps the hardest thing in the world to play. The original tuners are pretty cool because they still work just fine and hold fast, but the whole guitar basically reminds me of the wall hangers you find at flea markets.

Because of rarity, these old Gibsons are wonderful conversation pieces and it is really cool to look inside them at the ladder braces and all that sort of stuff. In the end, though, the only 1930s Gibson I would love to own for the sound quality is an Advanced Jumbo. I only ever saw a real one once and it had more work done to it than Michael Jackson and still wasn't in playing condition.

I can appreciate the nostalgia people feel for these old Gibsons, but really: If you went to the store tomorrow and they were selling an acoustic with a painted headstock logo for several thousand dollars, what would come to mind?

Bob' date=' have you bought this yet? Just curious.[/quote']

Mike,

When I was at an open mic last Thursday night, a friend came up to me and said "Have you heard that Gryphon sold your guitar?"

I responded, wittily, "Huh?"

He said, "The '34 Jumbo."

I'd never talked with him about it, but I guess everyone who knows me knows that it was my kind of gee-tar!

Good thing it was gone, 'cause playing it some more would really have been asking for trouble.

-- Bob R

Mike' date='

When I was at an open mic last Thursday night, a friend came up to me and said "Have you heard that Gryphon sold your guitar?"

I responded, wittily, "Huh?"

He said, "The '34 Jumbo."

I'd never talked with him about it, but I guess everyone who knows me knows that it was my kind of gee-tar!

Good thing it was gone, 'cause playing it some more would really have been asking for trouble.

-- Bob R

[/quote']

That's funny, well not really. I was looking forward to seeing it in Bozeman!! =D>

Archived