Gibson Brands Forums

Getting Desperate in my 12-String Search

bkharmony

So, it turns out I went a different route. This should be on the way as we speak.

Taylor855-Toplo-res.jpg

I'm not really a Taylor guy, but a few months ago, while searching for some Guild 12-strings to sample, the guys at a local music shop handed me one of these. I was absolutely blown away by the sound. By the price tag, too! I never even considered it, because I couldn't afford it.

Well, somehow I made it work (Thanks martz911! Thanks Visa!). I'm very disappointed I won't be a J-185 12-string owner, but perhaps someday down the road. However, the Taylor 855 is a legendary 800 pound gorilla of 12-strings, and I'm beside myself with anticipation.

Great looking guitar! That Taylor 12 string has a nice sound. (Neil Young-"Pocahontas" on the unplugged album). The Guild would have an excellent choice also (John Denver-early '70's). And of course, the J-185 12 string (David Crosby-Guinivere). I hope you're happy with the tone of it! Send us a sound clip of your recording project!

Great looking guitar! That Taylor 12 string has a nice sound. (Neil Young-"Pocahontas" on the unplugged album). The Guild would have an excellent choice also (John Denver-early '70's). And of course' date=' the J-185 12 string (David Crosby-Guinivere). I hope you're happy with the tone of it! Send us a sound clip of your recording project![/quote']

BTW, Neil Young's Taylor 12-string was one of the first few 12-string guitars that Taylor made! Hope yours sounds as good!

So' date=' it turns out I went a different route. This should be on the way as we speak.

I'm not really a Taylor guy, but a few months ago, while searching for some Guild 12-strings to sample, the guys at a local music shop handed me one of these. I was absolutely blown away by the sound. By the price tag, too! I never even considered it, because I couldn't afford it.

Well, somehow I made it work (Thanks martz911! Thanks Visa!). I'm very disappointed I won't be a J-185 12-string owner, but perhaps someday down the road. However, the Taylor 855 is a legendary 800 pound gorilla of 12-strings, and I'm beside myself with anticipation.[/quote']

Congrats bk... Very nice..

Taylor Player will be very pleased with your choice.. He's always recommending Taylor 12s (must own significant stock in the company:-k [biggrin] )..

Best I have ever owned or played was a late 1920s Oscar Schmidt Stella Jumbo 12 string. Wished to heck I had kept it as one that is all original and in fine condition can hit $20K these days.

A little more down to earth - I have played a couple of Collings 12 string guitars that I really liked. Still pricey but as people who want to sell me things keep saying - you only live once.

Would also agree on Guilds - (at least the Hoboken or Westerly-made ones). Guild always seems to give you alot of bang for the buck and I have never played one I would not take home.

Archived