Gibson Brands Forums

Not quite as good as HNGD; HNHD!

ChanMan

Very cool looking - although I gotta admit strapping a ten pound(?) metal helmet on my head and letting people smack me with a club doesn't sound like a sport I'm missing out on. A couple question if you don't mind is it as uncomfortable as it looks and how the hell do you put it on?

and last question

What on earth made you do this in the first place, was alcohol involved?

Very cool looking - although I gotta admit strapping a ten pound(?) metal helmet on my head and letting people smack me with a club doesn't sound like a sport I'm missing out on. A couple question if you don't mind is it as uncomfortable as it looks and how the hell do you put it on?

and last question

What on earth made you do this in the first place' date=' was alcohol involved?

[/quote']

It is around 13 pounds.. which is a good thing. No, it is not uncomfortable at all, except in the summer heat. This one should be cooler, as it has a laticed top. It slides on just like any other helmet; I'll have it padded with a 1/2 of close cell foam and a chin strap to keep it from flying off.. The weight actually is a Very Good Thing, due to the whole physics thing about mass absorbing the motion/force of the swing (think "hitting bowling ball with 1.25" wooden dowel" ).

/chuckle No, odd though it may seem, alcohol wasn't involved (at first anyway). I've always been interested in the middle ages... the knights in shining armor and fighting with swords and shields. I think a lot of kids play with sticks and trash can lids or something. I had a friend in college tell me how he had done it "for real". He showed me his "trash can", which turned out to be a replica of a 13th century barrel helm. He put some foam in it and let me hit him with a 2 x 4 to prove it didn't hurt. I dented his helm, but not him... and so it was.

It's not as bad as you think... there are folks who wear full plate armour, and I'd be willing to bet they never feel a thing. Just depends on when you want to be [lol] I've said before, it isn't for everyone, but it's pretty danged cool for those of us who play!

Hope you guys enjoy the helm... they guy who makes these particular ones considers them works of art...

Archived