Gibson Brands Forums

flying with an acoustic

~Meanstreak~

Hello everyone, back after a long time since the boards crashed in the summer! I'm going to be flying home to Texas in a few weeks and want to take my Epi Hummingbird with me. I'm flying British Airways and they say you can take a guitar on as carry-on luggage, but other than put it in a case (got the Epi E-Dread hard case) is there anything else I should do? I've heard some say to tighten the truss rod, some say loosen it. Some say to loosen the strings, others leave them, others say remove them!

I figured I'd get the best info here, so what should I do!? And is my case going to be good enough or shoudl i get something better?

Loosen the strings. Don't mess with the truss rod. Remove anything floating around the case.

I've heard different stories, but in my experience, they will only allow it on the plane if there's room in the cabin. That is, if everyone's carry-ons won't fit, the guitar is the first to be stowed underneath.

Also, I've had the best luck in putting it in the crew locker. You know when you first board the plane, there's a little closet-type thing immediately to your right, where the crew hangs their jackets and such. A guitar fits in there nicely.

On the rare occasions I've used BA they've been pretty good including opening up a dedicated check in desk when I and 40 scouts and leaders turned up at Heathrow one Boxing Day morning.

Double check with them it's OK as hand luggage. Your Epi hard case should be fine. I'd hate to put a guitar in the hold. I wouldn't trust the baggage handlers.

Hope you enjoyed your stay in London and have a good trip back.

See below.

I wasn't flying, but I put this guitar in the baggage of Amtrac back in the 80's. It's a 1969 Jubilee. Note the broken headstock.

DSC01223.jpg

Just be careful.... make sure the neck is well supported... those baggage handlers can be cruel!!

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

If it is a carry on, just carry it on. Unless Brit Air is flying vintage unheated, unpressurized cabins, you shouldn't need to do anything with it, as long as it stays in the cabin with you. Sometimes they will stow it in a coat closet in first class. That's okay too.

Here's the sequel...

The composer of that ditty promised after the first one to NOT release any more "United Breaks Guitars" videos, IF United agreed to fix the guitar they inepty broke.

Apparently that was a one way conversation.

buy the best case you can justify, de-tune the strings, place a little extra padding around the peg head, and maybe the neck block. Remove the end pin. All this is just in case they take it from you at the cabin door. One idea I find very useful, I try to book a high number seat so I board among the first passengers. The riskiest bet is getting on a full flight last and finding literally no room.

Archived