Gibson Brands Forums

SG custom 196????

Rockvoyager

does not say Made in the USA' date=' only the serial number

I'm not able to insert photos

[/quote']

To post [ictures you have to get an account (usually free) at a hosting site (PictureTrail, or Photobucket are two popular ones) then follow the directions in the stickied post at the of the forum.

Making some assumptions that serial number loosely checks out to somewhere in the 1970-72 time frame. The serial numbers aren't like those on cars, they carry no information about the instrument other than a rough correllation to year of manufacture particulary when you go back that far. The newer ones will get you to the day and batch number but nothing else for sure.

it seems yours is a 1962.

Where do you people get this kind of BS information (I read it on the Internet, it must be true). This number is nowhere near a 1962 number (as stated above). That serial number is from 70, 71, or 72. With no "Made In The USA" that would make it early 1970.

Your pot codes will more than likely read 13769XX (maybe 13770XX).

Where do you people get this kind of BS information (I read it on the Internet' date=' it must be true). This number is nowhere near a 1962 number (as stated above). That serial number is from 70, 71, or 72. With no "Made In The USA" that would make it early 1970.

Your pot codes will more than likely read 13769XX (maybe 13770XX). [/quote']

My mistake on the misquote - happens.

But, L5Larry, that's why we give references and other advice - to let the folks figure it out for themselves.

My info, although wrong in this case, was every bit as valid as yours. If you think about it, you stepped in your own pile of BS with your statement "I read it on the internet, it must be true".

Archived