Gibson Brands Forums

Early 60's Dove

ram1500

I have an old, early to mid 60's Dove and was wondering how I could nail down the exact year it may have been made. The tag in the body says it was made in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Guitar is in beautiful condition, some buzzing at 12th fret.

Serial # 273304

Would like to find out what it might be worth.

Thanks

Gus

DSC_0840.jpg?t=1259360764

DSC_0841.jpg?t=1259360965

DSC_0847.jpg?t=1259360990

Thats funny, I didn't even realize the overkill poster was so over-bearing in the pic..

As far as the Dove, been thinking of parting with it... Only to get into a Les paul. I'm 42 and the guitar has been in the family before I was born. Learned to play on it, as a kid, when I was barely able to get my arms around the body. Don't use it or play acoustic much, so I thought keeping within the Gibson family would be justifiable. that's when I came across this forum.

Any suggestions who I might be able to talk to as far as trades or sale would be appreciated.

Thanks

Gus

You need to put the Dove away and take out a loan for the LP. You will regret letting it out of the family.

What he said is exactly right. Buy a case and put that baby away and take care of it and save up for the LP. You will regret selling this later on in life.

My father bought the guitar back in the mid-60's at one of the music shops, I think 47'th street in NYC's music district, with the intentions of learning to play some day. He never did so it naturally passed on to me... I also noticed that all of the Dove's I see on line all have stained sides and back. Not sure why this one is all natural... Maybe it will add value since it doesn't appear to be common. It does have the metal bridge set up and I think that's indicative of very early models. As far as I know in my 42 years it's never been services and don't believe my father ever needed to have it serviced. I remember as a tiny kid the thing just sitting in the back of the closet. I'd love to find somewhere to bring it but don't know that I would trust leaving it anywhere for service.

Every once in while someone comes over and plays it and the response is always the same, WOW... This is unbelievable...

I guess I always took the tone for granted.

Thanks

Gus

Gus, bring this topic over to the UMGF with the pictures, I'm sure there are lots of people there who would like to see the pictures of this rare Bird. Maybe it was a one off custom order ? Is the back as nicely figured as the sides are ?

I have an old' date=' early to mid 60's Dove and was wondering how I could nail down the exact year it may have been made. The tag in the body says it was made in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Guitar is in beautiful condition, some buzzing at 12th fret.

Serial # 273304

Would like to find out what it might be worth.

Thanks

Gus

[img']http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e110/Recfsh/DSC_0840.jpg?t=1259360764[/img]

DSC_0841.jpg?t=1259360965

DSC_0847.jpg?t=1259360990

I've never seen a 60's Dove with a natural finish on the back and sides like that one has. Whats the story with that ?

I couldn't let this go by without commenting.... I agree... don't let it out of the family..... in your life you'll have $3K-$4K go through your hands thousands of times....but that guitar is special, and you'll be eternally thankful you still have it to pass on to your kids, grandkids, good buddy on the Gibson Forum, or whatever.

I too have never seen a Dove with natural sides and back...I'd LOVE to see the back and back of the neck on this guitar.

When I bought my Doves In Flight, I thought they all would have cherry red sides and backs... 'til I found mine...it has the natural maple sides and back much like this one.....Sometimes the "rare" finishes don't make the more expensive, but if I was looking for a Dove today, I'd seriously consider this one, (although I'm not too hot on the metal saddle).

After 40 years of aging, I'll bet it sounds fantastic!

PLEASE keep it...you won't regret it.

Bob

Wow, I appreciate all the responses. Didn't realize I would spark a good thread. I guess it would be like selling a family member. What DanvillRob said is what I always figured... passing it down to the kids and so on...

So in the end it, I'm compelled to not sell it. But that nasty itch to get the Les Paul is overwhelming.

I did see an e-mail on this form where you can send your details and someone will try to date the origin of the guitar.

Here's a few more pics.. Didn't realize how dusty it was..!

Thanks, Gus

DSC_0848.jpg?t=1259439586

DSC_0849.jpg?t=1259439628

DSC_0850.jpg?t=1259439653

DSC_0851.jpg?t=1259439678

DSC_0853.jpg?t=1259439715

Wow, that thing looks like it's hardly been played. Great guitar, a classic. Glad to hear your keeping it, you'd have a hard ever finding another one like it. This may sound like sacrilage to some, but I've never been a fan of the cherry-red stain on Dove's and really love the natural finish on this one. Tell me, are the covers on the tuning machines plastic? The dull gray makes it look like plastic, but that may just be the natural color of the metal.

Generally, I don't think it's a good idea to replace original parts if one can help it, but anybody have any thoughts on replacing the metal saddle with bone?

Pretty cool guitar, take it somewhere and get a good set-up and play that puppy.

This may sound like sacrilage to some' date=' but I've never been a fan of the cherry-red stain on Dove's and really love the natural finish on this one. [/quote']

I gotta agree..... I've never been a big fan of the cherry red myself. My Dove is Tobacco Sunburst, I think it's called, (kinda rare), but my Doves In Flight is natural maple, and I think it's the prettiest DIF I've ever seen!

DSC01215.jpg

DSC01218.jpg

DSC01295.jpg

DSC01298.jpg[/img]

Archived