Gibson Brands Forums

Holy Grail? '59 LP with a Bigsby...

NeoConMan

The reason we all love tube amps' date=' the reason we all love those guitars has [i']everything[/i] to do with those guys. And I don't think you are an exception to this rule.

We grew up hearing those records that featured people playing those guitars, amps, pedals and stuff and then, throughout the years we learned/decided what a good guitar tone means. Based on our experience with listening, playing, looking at them playing live, watching them videos and etc.

Another aspect to consider there is that those guys were forging new tones at the time. And here we are desperately looking backwards for that TONE instead of forwards. And then we wonder why music sucks these days.

Another aspect to consider there is that those guys were forging new tones at the time. And here we are desperately looking backwards for that TONE instead of forwards. And then we wonder why music sucks these days.

That's why none of us will be any of them. We are like those folks from the 60's who were not into rock n'roll and the new pop music. We are like the old guys.

Those guys were avant-garde. They were experimenting with the edge of gear technology. Being retro, vintage or whatsoever is doing the opposite.

We are indeed going backwards sometimes.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Too much emphasis on tone I think. The songs had to be good too, and they were, the tone helps but a lot of these guys used effects too, like Page, Iommi, Bloomfield to name a few and I like the songs even though a vintage Gibson sound is only part of that equation.

You know, before I started playing guitar I did not know what the difference between fuzz, overdrive and distortion was but what I did know is that I liked the songs. I would put up with sh!tty tone if the playing was good.

Steve Luthaker played his '59 burst in a lot of Toto recordings and yet nobody talks much about him and his music around here.

To me is curious to see how people talk about the Gibson golden era of the 50's and yet some models don't go for a lot of money, they are well made but nobody too famous played them. So you can find a late 50's ES-125 for under $3,000. The LP was discontinued for poor sales, who would have known!

Also, Vintage amps go for for a pretty penny and a lot of them are legendary and part of that vintage sound yet I am not aware of amps going for $100,000 and more (don't say Dumble please) I guess amps are not as collecable as guitars even though the maps were intrinsecal part of that sound. Just an observation.

none of the people who consider the '59 LP as the holy grail drool over the guitar' date=' itself.

They drool over the guys who played them. [/quote']

Huh?

[crying]

Are you sure you're posting in the correct thread?

My holy grail is sitting in my basement and it wasn't made in 1959.

It's my holy grail because it sounds great' date='[/quote']

So, you now own the pinnacle - the ultimate guitar - and no other guitar in the world, of any vintage or pedigree will ever turn your head and make you consider another guitar purchase? You're done buying guitars?

C'mon....

](*,)

not because some guy wearing an upbuttoned shirt played one similar 30 years ago.

Tim' date=' the guys in every pic I posted are fully dressed.

I wouldn't notice such a detail usually, so I went back and checked....

#-o/ [cool[blink]

Yeah TG, if I can ever talk a buddy of mine into selling my old black '93 Standard to me it'll get a Bigsby!

So' date=' you now own the pinnacle - the ultimate guitar - and no other guitar in the world, of any vintage or pedigree will ever turn your head and make you consider another guitar purchase? You're done buying guitars?[/quote']

Yeah, I do own the ultimate guitars - my ultimate guitars.

I'm convinced I won't find anything better than what I already own.

Does that mean I'm done buying guitars? Probably not...[lol]

Those guys were avant-garde. They were experimenting with the edge of gear technology. Being retro, vintage or whatsoever is doing the opposite.

So true - but you gotta go back to go forward sometimes,yeah?...:-

That's why none of us will be any of them. We are like those folks from the 60's who were not into rock n'roll and the new pop music. We are like the old guys.

Those guys were avant-garde. They were experimenting with the edge of gear technology. Being retro' date=' vintage or whatsoever is doing the opposite.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.[/quote']

Adjusting my rear view mirror... ah, that's it. Perfect. I always said hindsight was 20/20. Let me play like them and I will be happy. Let me play and own their gear and I will die lucky. Let me play my own guitar and music and I will consider myself "in tune".

Archived