Gibson Brands Forums

Trad. Pro Plain Top Quilt?

GibSinCity

I was picking up some strings at the local GC the other day, and of course had to check out the Gibson section of the guitar wall.

I noticed a Trad. Pro in Heritage Cherry, that from one angle, looked like a regular plain Maple top. But from another angle, it appeared to have a slight Quilt to it.

This made me wonder...

As a guitar like this ages, will the plain-top's "Quilt" become more, or less noticeable?

Or will age and fading have no effect at all?

wood grain becomes more noticable depending what angle you look at it, lay your guitar flat on the bed or something similar and walk around it or slowly crouch down while looking at the guitar and you'l notice that the grain and venear change in front of your eyes, i'm a reproduction furniture polisher by trade so i know about these things [biggrin]

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I understand that Flame and Quilt are in the grain of the wood and won't change with age.

I was wondering how an aging top might affect a guitar with just a VERY SLIGHT Quilt or Flame.

How the shine and depth of a new top might enhance the ability to see the character of the grain now, and weather over time as the top ages, the amount of it might appear to change. Will the angles at which you can see the Quilt be the only thing that changes as the finish ages.

I wonder how this top looked before the finish went on, and how evident that very slight Quilt was then.

Did it look the same but with no finish? Was it more, or less noticeable?

I would think that the clear finish, the amount of finish, the paint, the amount of, and even the color of paint must have some affect, but how much?

By the way, was that Trad. Pro in El Cerrito a Heritage Cherry, or a Vintage?

I think a Vintage Burst with a AA top would look pretty cool.

By the way' date=' was that Trad. Pro in El Cerrito a Heritage Cherry, or a Vintage?

I think a Vintage Burst with a AA top would look pretty cool.[/quote']

It was a Heritage Cherry. Not my first choice, but with a nice flame top it can be irresistible!

I own a Vintage Sunburst Trad Pro.

It's awesome.

I agree Big Bill, there's something about a Heritage Cherry Sunburst flame that's just cool.

What with these being a "Special Run", and with those few select tops that bubba_leon mentioned sneaking in here and there, it kinda makes them just a bit more unique.

Of course we all know that "Special Run" usually means until sales drop.

Speaking of special, Guitar Center is now offering a Limited Run of the Trad. Pro in a Goldtop.

So, if the Trad. Pro features sound good, but you're a Goldtop fan, get em' while you can, they say there's only 100 available.

I agree Big Bill' date=' there's something about a Heritage Cherry Sunburst flame that's just cool.

What with these being a "Special Run", and with those few select tops that [b']bubba_leon[/b] mentioned sneaking in here and there, it kinda makes them just a bit more unique.

Of course we all know that "Special Run" usually means until sales drop.

Speaking of special, Guitar Center is now offering a Limited Run of the Trad. Pro in a Goldtop.

So, if the Trad. Pro features sound good, but you're a Goldtop fan, get em' while you can, they say there's only 100 available.

I'm not sure if it's a special run, or just one of those factory kinda things where someone decides to experiment with a leftover top or something to that effect.

I'm not sure if it's a special run, or just one of those factory kinda things where someone decides to experiment with a leftover top or something to that effect.

Oh, I was talking about the Trad. Pro itself being a "Special Run" for Guitar Center, Musicians Friend, & Music 123.

Not a Special Run of Trad. Pros with "Select Tops".

Although, that would be cool too, but like you said, maybe just someone experimenting, or having fun with some leftover wood.

Maybe I should have said an "Exclusive Run" for certain retailers.

They are great, versatile guitars.

I wonder how many people who like the guitars features, but aren't into plain tops, would consider buying one if they came with an AA top?

Archived