Gibson Brands Forums

Dolphins

Californiaman

Driving south along HWY 101 this past week, just past Carpenteria along the Santa Barbara and Ventura coast where the ocean waves literally crash right against Pacific Coast Highway, I was struck by how perfect the waves looked early Thursday morning. Looking out into the blue-green ocean three full grown dolphins were riding through the crest of a wave, while a fourth looked on from outside the crest of the tube. It was the perfect image captured in my mind's eye. So surreal a moment it was. I may never see anything like that again, but I will never forget it as long as I live. My wife and daughter also saw the dolphins. It was so freaking mind blowing for me though. I can still see the moment captured in time.

Just thought I'd share.

Hasn't had snow that's stuck more than a cupla days here, but 25-30 miles away in Deadwood and Lead up the hill, it was still there Thanksgiving and over the weekend.

My favorite "sea life" shot, though, came on an airliner turning over the ocean to land at K(G)angnung. I had a window seat on the inside of a turn and the whales were playing.

What made that wilder was my childhood memory of listening to the Korean War reports in the warmth of a coal-heated home in the north central US; a good friend from Korea told what it was like in the Seoul area at the same time... We spoke of life and death and when, and how, one confronts those issues and the degree to which one should regularly consider them without colored lenses.

I wonder if the whales were playing then, too...

m

Archived