Gibson Brands Forums

Brass Question

deepblue

Dont mock me guys' date=' I am NOT handy.

Do I need a special drill to drill a hole through Brass?

[/quote']

I'd think it depends on what you mean by "special". You shoudn't try it with a wood auger, (or a dirt auger, for that matter), but a high-speed drill bit in an electric, (or air), drill should punch right through it.

The slower you push the drill through, the less burrs you'll have on the back side.

Depends on what you call a "special drill."

A decent drill bit on a standard inexpensive electric drill should do the cutting.

But...

Depending on what you're drilling, you may want to have some sort of a "drill press" and something to hold the material while you're doing the drilling.

For example, I've drilled some fairly thick chunks of brass in making hunting knives. There definitely was a requirement to have something besides my fingies to hold the material and to hold the "drill" to keep the proper angle on the "hole."

A Dremel rotary tool or equivalent can do a lot of that stuff with a huge batch of accessories to do most "guitar-size" jobs. It can be fitted also with bit to smooth stuff out, etc.

Even with thin material that you might almost be able to cut with a paper punch, you may want to use some sort of a drill press simply to ensure a clean cut.

But the bit itself probably is not going to be a deciding factor, at least in my experience.

m

Archived