Gibson Brands Forums

ANY HELP WITH THIS SH---T ON A BRAND NEW LIMITED RUN

cudamax2343

Yep I used to feel the same way but Naptha really does work to clean guitars up I had a guitar get slimed in italy a guitar tech told me to get straight Naptha from a drug store in Italy it was a miracle cure all for cleaning stuff it was before the 9/11 airport and whole 3oz thing started so I sent three bottles home. I have one left then I'll be hitting craft stores looking for it. I'm not sure if new lighter fluid is pure Naptha or some strange chemical like airplane glue turned into when they though everyone was sniffing it but pure Naptha is amazing. I used to be totally paranoid about any chemical that got near a guitar until I built a few than Naptha and Super Glue became the norm.

good luck and I checked the my studio BFG that I bought probably the same week you did

I got this one 2-22-2008. I have been told that mixing and applying the nitro is tricky and If Its not right well can turn out like ****. A custmer service guy over the phone told me to use lighter fluid on the neck' date=' that sounds crazy to me. I have always wiped it down and put it back in the case, thought it was the best thing to do. I got the explorer about a week later and it's sticky too but have left it along with the les paul out of the case as much as possible and have not played it, hoping that they needed some additional cure time and has helped alot. The cloudy white stuff rubs off with hard pressure of my thumb and its the clear/nitro coming off.[/quote']

Wow I reread your post and its a Small World I bought mine on the day before you did it was a SameDay music scratch and dent or whatever they call it they had three left I procrastinated so long I almost missed the WEEK 25 Black Studio BFG since I was not at all impressed by the regular BFG then a friend bought one and I played it and thought the pickups were a great combo so I snapped up one that night. I still don't see anything on mine and have no clue why it was a scratch and dent since it was perfect but I'm sure watching it now.

Thanks RJC for clarifying the mineral spirit usage. And yes it is used for wet sanding NItro finishes since it is more forgiving then water/soap mixture around holes. Since water/wood/nitro = swelling and lifting off the finish.

Keep that baby in a warm dry ( cloudy nitro is moisture ) area.

It will be ok !

By the way' date=' if that is really you in your avatar you look REALLY, REALLY familiar..... were you ever a "teacher" in Minnesota? School Dist # 831?? If not I know your TWIN!!!! SERIOUSLY!!![/quote']

Yea It's really me in the photo cudamax2343/aka/thecrazygreek/aka/dogmanthing. I get that I know your twin alot and I'd like to see, really see a photo of this guy ya-know my imposter, really. Just last week I showed up at a party at a place I've never been with someone and there was about 15 people there that were pissed at me, I went up to this group and asked real nice what the fu--k was there problem, this chic that I wasn't talking to smacked me hard across the face and started yelling at me calling me mike and a lot of other things and ranting and raving about a bunch of ****, well anyways they all thought I was someone else that they all used to hang with and were mad because I wasn't talking to them. They couldn't believe it and they just had to see my photo id with my name on it

I posted a thread about my brand new Studio. Also a black neck on a Fireburst body. I was told to use Naptha.

I left it out of the case for a couple of weeks and I wipe it down with a clean very soft cloth. I have not used the Naptha but that is my next step. This is an 08 and luckily it didn't haze out like yours.

I think I would try the Naptha, and if that doesn't work you should send it back. I am thoroughly fed up with mine.

I know there is the "this is how it has always been done" mentality, but we can put a micro chip on the head of a pin, but we can't get a decent finish on the neck of a guitar?

I know there is the "this is how it has always been done" mentality' date=' but we can put a micro chip on the head of a pin, but we can't get a decent finish on the neck of a guitar? [/quote']

Fyi: The finishing nitro coats on an LP are shot from top to bottom. That is the body and neck are all the same nitro layers.

But the neck has more close hand contact (aka sweat ) and each persons acidity is different, which may or may not effect the finish this way.

You need to realize that nitrocellulose lacquer is organic (wood pulp !) in this case, and breaths. Thus moister while still curing is a concern. It can take months to years for it to really and completely cure.

Also Naptha or mineral spirits won't remove any lacquer. It will help displace moisture and acidic oils (sweat) that just wiping won't do. This will let the nitro breath better.

I also purchased a GOTW #25. Great Guitar ... But STICKY !! I called Gibson and customer service told me the same naptha story. He added that it may cause the Laquer to cloud, but after time the cloudiness will go away. I also have owned and played multiple guitars in my 46 years and am very disappointed with GIBSON. I have never experienced anything so ridiculous as a company putting out a product that was not properly finished or cured, and it being considered " Normal ". And don't get me started about the reverse flying V GOTW Fiasco!

I would like to thank every one once more for all the insight and input into this subject. I also would like everyone to remember that I love gibson's and all my gibson guitars, there presence/voicing/feel/are magical and especially when they are fine tuned and set up just right man they kick-***, and that's my point exactly gibson is the maker of fine instrument that is world renowned. They create these instruments we all love and play.

We all love and play certain guitars because of all our guitar hero's play certain ones, or at least that's how mmost everyone starts and you can bet that behind each and every-one, there was a guitar tech, guitar set-up master that tweeked everyone of our guitar hero's axes soo good that if any one of us ever picked up one of there axes up and just played them for 1 minute we would cream in our shorts.

Gibson is the creator and its up to every owner of each instrument to figure-out what he's doing with guitar. If you are the type that real anal about finishes well than don't touch-em or even try and over polish-em, because you will always find some-thin-wrong-with-noth-in.

As for my self, all of my 38 axes or so are by far not mint and are all players some are more beat-up than others and most are real old, you just cant play-em and expect them to stay perfect. Any gibson brand new will need some kind of tweeking/set-up/nut work/nut string height-freeing-up ect/string change/intonation/string height-action-neck releif/ect. Anyways if you stayed with me this far, this is the out-come of cudamax's 2 brand new gibson purchace's the last 2 months. The les paul and the explorer I bought are with-in 2 weeks of each other about 2 months ago. Both were brand new and mint and both were vary sticky/gummy. The explorer I only played for about 1 hour and both were soooo sweet sound-in, but I decied to just play the paul and kept the explorer put a-way in it case only leaving the case open for about 4-6hrs a day untouched (man it was the hardest thing to do) the paul was played every day and real hard on sat night's at a local bar and look what happened to a gibson that was played gummy/sticky, but there is a good out-come.

I used some zippo lighter fluid and man it turned out real nice. First I used just about a quarter sized shot on a polishing cloth and wiped the neck it evaporates quickly in about 30 seconds. Then another quarter sized shot on the polishing cloth wiped some more for only about 15 seconds then had a second dry polishing cloth ready and finished wiping with that, I ended-up doing the hole guitar and it looks brand new/real shinny/almost glassy and real smooth, only a vary slight scarring left on the neck were all this **** happened earlyer, but it real hard to tell or see. Anyways my guitar of the week # 25 only cost me with the case and shipping 969.00 a little over what a faded vintage paul comes in at.

The explorer by the way is now hard enough to play and it was well worth the wait.000_3881.jpg000_3317.jpg

It still boggles my mind that this crap is allowed to go on. We have obviously all had pretty well the same issues with new guitars from Gibson. Maybe if we ask real nice THEY can wipe the Guitars down with naptha, or lighter fluid, BEFORE they ship them to the public. I have repeatedly complained to them about the pickup selector switches on Epiphone guitars. I have owned 5 and all had to be replaced within the first year. It is still happening.

I have a 1990 Gibson ES335 and I always had problems with the neck feeling sticky. I would think that it would have dried by now. I love the guitar, and it is in the Ebony finish as well. I will be trying this naptha thing for sure.

Funny though my Elitist Les Paul sounds and plays amazingly and I have no sticky neck on that one.

Just a note of caution about naptha. Try to prevent it from geting on your skin. If you can, put on some cleaning gloves to prevent your skin being exposed to it. There are many negative side effects if it gets absorbed into your skin, and also try to use it in a well vented area as to keep it's fumes from being inhaled into your lungs. And the most obvious warning is it's highly flammable, so if you're a smoker, try not to set yourself or your guitar on fire... :)

I didn't read the 'entire' thread but it sure looks like you have moisture in your case or as it was mentioned the interior liner was over-glued.... You said you love the feel, sound etc., Don't send it back. I'm sure you know you'll never be happy with the replacement. Just my .02

If that pic above is the outcome, then man you have solved it! I'm happy it worked out for ya man! By the way, I am sure if the problem persisted that Gibson would have helped you out. I've owned and played their products now for over 30 years and anytime I had an issue, they did the right thing by me either direct, or via the local dealer.

Yo- dennis, thanx's man. Yea it sure looks real nice now, like I said only a slight scarring is visable. To me its no problem at all, I'm really not anal about that kind-a **** and heck at the most it will always remind me and I will remember all-of-ya and I learned the neat zippo trick. Don't really know exactly why it did what it did, I just don't want it to keep doing it, it only been about 24hrs and I'm hoping for the best.

Gibson is the best, I agree and you don't get that way and stay that way by screwing the ones that love-ya,

Hey on another note I've been a smoker, well for ever, and allways have used and I have a big collection of zippo lighters, here is my favorite one 000_3904.jpg kept after a timber/malmute I had for 14 years named stevie000_1842.jpg

Archived