Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson's Fab Flattops here

rar

The book showed up today, I've had a quick look through, and thought I'd post a preliminary review. It might make the wait a little easier. [biggrin]

It qualifies as a new edition, but just barely. If the main body of the text is any different, it's not very different. The pagination is the same, the photos are the same (as in my hardcover copy -- IIRC, there were a few different photos in later printings of the paperback), the text of a few pages I checked was identical. I checked a couple statements in the text that are now known to be wrong (e.g., that Brazil was the source of the rosewood for the backs and sides of the original AJs and pre-War J-200s), and they're still there. In fact, the main body of the text appears to have been photo-reproduced from the old edition (which doesn't rule out fixing some minor problems). The story of Gibson Montana and the guitars they build still stops in 1993.

So, what are the differences? A new Forward by Steve Earle replaces the old one by Stan Werblin. There's an index, which is nice. The authors' bios have been updated (and moved to the back flap of the dust jacket-like cover). The Acknowledgments page was re-typeset, but appears to say the same thing. The big deal is that the table of Gibson Models Produced in Bozeman runs through 2008 and has been expanded from just over one page to over 15 pages. So, if you want to know what years the WM-00 was in production, it's now easy to find out. (1998 only, in case you were wondering.)

One more point. There was talk that the book would be printed on higher quality paper, to make the photos come out better. Didn't happen. The photos look okay, but they're noticeably muddier and darker than the photos in the hardcover. (That's one of the clues it was photo-reproduced.)

I still would have bought it if I knew exactly what I was getting in advance. But I wouldn't have awaited it nearly as anxiously.

-- Bob R

Thanks for that. I may just stick with my old paperback for now if the revisions are entirely frontmatter and backmatter. Does the expanded "table of models" document the year-by-year evolution of models from '93-08 like, say, the J-100 -- where materials and appointments have wiggled around over the years?

Thanks, Bob. I was curious what the changes might be, and you answered that. I am surprised that the book is being reprinted at all, given that the first printing went into overstock and was cleared at give-away prices. It is a great book and I'm glad to see it available at sane prices again.

Does the expanded "table of models" document the year-by-year evolution of models from '93-08 like' date=' say, the J-100 -- where materials and appointments have wiggled around over the years?[/quote']

No specs on the Bozeman models beyond the familiar material on pages 148-9. The info in the table is: the J-100 was produced 89-91 and 01-02, the J-100 Xtra 92-05, the J-100 Xtra Rosewood in 96 only, and the J-100 Xtra 12 in 94-96. That should give you an idea of what the table is and isn't good for.

-- Bob R

Thanks for the review, Bob -- appreciated!

It really is too bad that there wasn't a greater effort to bolster this effort, as the additional data that has been collected and the additional information about Bozeman production is considerable. There was a lot of potential to provide a really fine update.

I was wondering why the price of this book was so low (less than $19 here in Canada!); I guess now I know why.

Fred

Thanks for the info on the new edition. I was hoping there would be some revisions, corrections, more updates as well as some rethinking on the author's part, now that time has passed , on some opinions expressed on some guitars that were in the prior version. However, I always found the book to be a good read and a good source of one book's opinion (but only one book's opinion), and definitely way too heavy on the author's own opinions (at times stated to the casual reader as though they were fact.) Luckily, the vintage guitar market of Gibsons has grown since the book was first published and there's now tons of others' opinions to be found elsewhere in other books or on the internet from actual owners of certain models to get a better perspective than the book once almost exclusively offered.

Just my thoughts.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

The original edition of Fabulous Flat Tops was just that. It turned players ears and eyes to an acoustic brand that little had been written about. It stirred interest in guitars people had just heard about. The original got people like me interested in learning more about the guitars from the 20s, 30s, 40s. I started collecting more Gibson guitars and keeping logs of others. I started a data base keeping pictures and as much information as I could get on late 20s, early 30s Gibson guitars; L0, L00, L1, L2 and especially the mythical Nick Lucas. I also own or have owned these models. During the last few years as a member of UMGF I have been talking about these guitars with other interested players and collectors. A good deal of new information has come to light which has not been published. I wish this edition of the Fabulous Flat Tops could have included some of this new information. There is much still be learned and much to know. I hope this edition is not the end of the story.

John and Willie are soon to release their book on the War time Banner Headstock guitars. I have no doubt this will be a great read and resource for these guitars. I know they have done a good deal of research on the guitars and the people who made them and play them.

I encourage any one who has a interest in the older Gibsons that they read the numerous thread in the Vintage Corner of UMGF. It is great reading. Just recently a rare guitar appeared in this forum, the 14 fret L2 bought at a auction. This is a scarce guitar that expands the knowledge on this rare model.

I too am interested in new Gibsons and they appear as much or more confusing than the vintage guitars. If this book can shed some light on the Bozeman era that would be good.

Does it give much information on Bozeman guitars in this new section? I noticed it has been expanded.

Terry

I'm sorry the authors gave up on the quest for new information. If they read the UMGF they could have gathered many updates and new questions. I have no idea the amount of time a book would take. I need to gather my information and start making some notes. We get some good discussions going and that may be the best we can do. There are not a lot of documents to support the early Gibson years. I have said on here before some one needs to keep track of the Bozeman guitars, the production of the limited editions would be a place to start. Guitars like the Nick Lucas Elite!

Terry

John and Willie are soon to release their book on the War time Banner Headstock guitars. I have no doubt this will be a great read and resource for these guitars. I know they have done a good deal of research on the guitars and the people who made them and play them.

Terry

I'm very much looking forward to this!

Terry, I'm a member of the umgf and the Vintage Corner is my go-to resource for all things vintage Gibson. That there are people there like Willie Henkes, John Thomas, you, tpbii, Zizala, and many others, is a blessing and much appreciated. I often think it's a pity that the knowledge and experience that's been posted there over the years isn't gathered together in one place to make it accessible to more people. Zizala's posts alone on vintage archtops would make a terrific and fascinating book. Still, umgf is a wonderful resource.

Thanks for the kind words, folks.

The Fab Flattops book was a great resource when it was first published. Kudos to the authors. I have, though, always been curious about their lack of reference to original sources. Perhaps they didn't seek access to Gibson's shipping ledgers? In any event, many of the book's production dates are off by several years, shipping totals are far from accurate, and model, and especially bracing descriptions are flawed.

Willi and I have been lucky to 1) get the original shipping ledgers, 2) interview (and record to DVD for a multi-media exhibit at the museum of making music) a dozen of the women (and 1 man) who worked at Gibson during WWII, and 3) X-ray and CT-scan over 60 guitars.

We're on the home stretch! If you want a preview, stop by this Friday, Dec. 11 at National Music Museum in Vermilion, South Dakota. I'll be giving a talk about the book and picking a bit on one of my Banner Gibsons.

• 1 month later...
John and Willie are soon to release their book on the War time Banner Headstock guitars. I have no doubt this will be a great read and resource for these guitars. I know they have done a good deal of research on the guitars and the people who made them and play them

I agree, lets get it done already!![cool]

I can't belive the authors of the Fabulous book didn't upgrade it (especially the serial number FON section) and change the errors. Though I am one of those Gibson guitar players that have some nice guitars because of that book, it would be nice to see it upgraded and have those lousy black and white photos replaced with detailed color photos. Maybe someday.

RW

Archived