Gibson Brands Forums

Low-cost models?

pohatu771

I've seen the WM-45 and the J-100... I'm looking to buy a Gibson acoustic in the near future, in the $1000 neighbourhood. So far, it looks like a WM-45, J-100, or Elitist Texan, unless I can find a good deal on a J-45.

What other lower-cost acoustics have been offered in the recent past?

http://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBCSM

http://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBDSM

http://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBDSR

all three of these are Canadian Made Gibson acoustics...all roughly within your budget...

and i havent heard anything really bad at all about these guitars...

you can find used gibby's for roughly 1000-1200 possibly a little cheaper...but in terms of brand spanking new gibsons...i think there is only these three?

IWhat other lower-cost acoustics have been offered in the recent past?

You can pick up a used L-4A for between $800-$1200. I have one, and it's a great guitar; kind of a no-frills J-185EC, but with Rosewood back/sides. One with some dings and checking just sold on eBay for $800. I've also seen new brand ones this year on blowout for $1600, IIRC.

Any of the 70s Gibson can usually be picked up at a value price...just make sure the one you're picking out is a good one by playing it first or with the company having a good return policy if you're not satisfied. There are some great Gibson guitars from this decade as well as some where quality control was lacking leading this decades of Gibsons to often be labelled as having inconsistent quality and/or quality control.

Regarding more recent models...the Gibson WM-45 was a great guitar as was the Gibson Gospel Reissue...both of which can be purchased at a value price.

Hope this helps.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Thanks guys. I was expecting to buy used - I played a few Songmakers and wasn't terribly fond of them. I'm looking for a more "classic" Gibson sound.

I really like the Super Jumbo, and was hoping there was a few alternative models besides the J-100 around my price range. I think there was an Elitist SJ-200, but they aren't terribly easy to find. The L-4A is nice-looking, but they don't seem terribly common.

The HOG has a new, used condition Elitist Texan for $915 that I've played a few times. It didn't impress me as much as a J-45 I played, though. There's also a 1994 MIA Texan for a good price... shipping it from Britain will probably push it over my limit, though.

There are a few good deals I've seen, but thought you'd have some good suggestions - seems that way so far.

I also found a 1965 Epiphone Caballero for what I'm willing to pay for one, but I feel like I should get my LG-0 playable before I try to buy its twin.

A deal can be found if you are prepared to be patient--its more of a buyers market. WM45 might be the best shot--seen several of these up for grabs, but also J45s and J100s in the 1k-1100 range. L00 Blues Kings, too, but those dont have expansive a sound. Id steer clear of 70s models, personally (greater risk/reward scale). If you can pony up a little more and like the sound, you can find Advanced Jumbos in the 1300 range (check the Trading Post). JK

Archived