Gibson Brands Forums

Hi. Just joined.....

rdm0925

name is Russ from Pennsylvania. I have had a Gibson flat top for a long time and bought it second hand about 20 years ago. Am trying to identify it and have have conflicted data.

It has the DOVE length neck (25 1/4"?) double parallelogram frets, Grover Tuning pegs, belly down adjustable bridge. It is a natural finish. Has the x-bracing, a volute and Made in U.S.A. on back of headstock. Serial # 968441. This serial# and other attributes puts it in a 1970 - 1973 time frame. The belly down nails it to 1970, I think. When I bought it, it had a Dean Markley wooden acoustic pickup which I have removed. label is missing inside.

It plays itself; wonderful action up and down; my cousin plays lead for Pat Green and sometimes Kenny Chesney's band and has played this guitar; it is similar to a southern jumbo that he has.

Would love any guidance on what it is; I think it may be a Songwriter.

Glad to be on this forum as i love my Gibson whatever....

Russ

I think that they went to long scale about 1969 for all the square-shouldered dreads. If true' date=' the SJ/SJN would, similarly, be long scale.

Fred

[/quote']

OK, I didn’t know that. It must’ve been another cost-cutting feature in the dark days in Kalamazoo.

thanks for all the welcome comments and guidance.

being a newb, I couldn't attach a photo with the buttons...any advice on how to attach a photo?

when I hit the insert image button this is what i get:

[/img]

also cut and paste didn't work.

...thanks for the patience...

Archived