Gibson Brands Forums

ES175T 1976

navan55

Yes I have been using it. There is no work in architecture so I have to part with the 175T and a Martin OM-42. I wouldnt say that it was in mint condition, however it is in great shape. You never know I might hold onto it. That is if I can sell the Martin!!:-k

Yes I have been using it. There is no work in architecture so I have to part with the 175T and a Martin OM-42. I wouldnt say that it was in mint condition' date=' however it is in great shape. You never know I might hold onto it. That is if I can sell the Martin!![biggrin']

Sell the Martin, navan55!:-k

craig I'd love to be in a position to give it to you!!! Thanks for the nice comments.

cdnac how much!!!!

Maybe I should think twice and hold off. I made a big mistake in '79 trading a cherry 335 for a custom less paul. I have undone that now as I am taking delivery of a Larry Carlton 335. However I dont think that I will be able to undo this one (MISTAKE) if I part with the 175T.

So what's the difference between a 175T and a 137 other than the tail piece?

Alan the 137 appears to be in the les paul family sound as apposed to the woody sound of the [biggrin] 175. The body is thicker than the thin line. However the 137 still looks great. You have an impressive collection.

What's the neck profile like?

Hi I am expecting delivery of a 335 Larry Carlton Signature and I was researching necks. Following that I can say that the 175T has a slim neck that is in thickness, less than an 1" at the nut. The nut width is 1" 3/4". Nice neck width. Lovely feel throughout.

I have been trying to get an accurate width dimension at the nut of the LC335. I would like if somebody who had one would take an actual dimension. I believe it may be 1" 9/16". I will wait and see.

I'd be surprised if the neck width of the Larry Carlton was anything other than 1 11/16''. Sometime the widths of some guitars such as OM's can be 1 3/4" but they generally feel quite wide particularly if you are used to playing 1 11/16". I reckon the 175T would be 1 11/16" but I'm just guessing.

Thank you Alan. You are quite right. I have taken a dimension of the nut width on my 175T and it is 1" 11/16". Having spoken to gibson people I now am almost sure that the LC335 has a nut width of 1"9/16. (woud like it wider)Back in the late '70s I had a cherry red 335. I remember feeling that the neck was narrow!! However at that stage I was used to playing accoustic guitars so the 335 would naturally have felt narrow. Now I use the 175T, A 93' delux Strat, Martin OM-42, Yamaha cpx15, and a '70s Suzuki spanish guitar. My amp is a 212X65 musicman 1981, (no frills just a clear sound!!)

Joseph.

Alan you are quite right. I have just taken a dimension of the width on my 175T and it is 1"11/16. I would love it if the LC was the same. However having spoken to gibson they inform me that it is 1"9/16.

Back in the late '70s I had a cherry red 335 and I thought the neck was narrow. At that stage I was used to playing accoutic guitars so that could have been part the reason that I thought the neck was narrow. However I am delighted to have one again.

Now I use the ('76) 175T, ('93) DELUX Strat, Martin OM-42 ( Have to sell this one. Cant afford to hold onto it!!!) Yamaha CPX 15, ('74) Suzuki spanish and of course the LC335 when it lands.

• 4 weeks later...
navan55 - wow I don't think that I've ever played anything 1 9/16". It must feel very different.

I find moving from 1 11/16" to 1 3/4" a real challenge albeit that I'm now getting used to it.

Hi took delivery of the LC335. Fantastic to play. The neck makes for a sweet vibrato. I was also concerned about the nut width as I have been used to a ('76) 175t and a ('93 ) Strat deluxe. However there is no problem. I have bigish hands and the nut position works just fine.

The guitar feel quite substantial but I love it. If I was to pick at some fault I would say that Gibson could have filed the outer ends of the frett wites. This is something that I would considder doing myself but I would need guidance.

Archived