Gibson Brands Forums

SG Standard Pickup Swap

Jimmy3711

what's wrong with the sound you're getting now? The standard pickups in the SG are the same pickups used in the LP studio, LP supreme, and LP custom. They are the standard "modern classic" pickups that have been Gibson standards for years. GREAT pickups. I'd say if you're swapping pickups "just because ***PLAYER*** uses them" then you really need to practice more, and read the internet less.

Swapping pickups with absolutely no goal in mind will simply be a waste of money.

I am looking to get a sound that is a little less middy. I am not chasing the player sound as my major influences are Vai and Gilbert, which is certainly not this route! I have no beef with Gibson as I also have a Les Paul Standard and a Dove. I guess I forgot to fill in the "Goals" line in the original post.

Ive not used the Angus pickup but if your talking about replacing the 498t bridge pickup then I could nt agree more. I found it overly mid biased and thought the clean sounds on the this pickup unuseable . Ive replaced mine with the classic 57 and 57 plus which provides great vintage rock and clean tones.

As an aside I did use this pickup in a Les Paul for a while and found the sounds complemented the Les Paul ( at least to my ears) better.

Got the pickups installed. I was surprised to see the new quick clips on the stock pickups. This SG came off the line in September 2009. Got everything set up again and gave them a try. Sweet combination! This is better than what I was aiming for. Clean and crisp in both clean and dirty. I will still hold on to the originals, but I am very pleased so far with the turn out.

• 4 years later...

I have a 2012 Gibson SG that came with the coil tapping, and I've grown to hate the pups that came in it. The coil tapping isn't worth using and the the pups sound so muddy I can't stand playing the guitar. Other than the sound, I LOVE this guitar so I'm thinking new pups are in order. Anyone ever use the Gibson P-94, or another brand of humbucker sized P-90s? I have two other humbucker equiped guitars and am thinking a P-90 type would be a nice addition to the aresenal. I had a soapbar equipped SG in the 70s and loved the sound (I still hat myself for selling it!)

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I hate the 490 series too; too muddy on the lows and too ouchy on the highs. I think 57s are much, much sweeter in all of those pleasant tones. The feedback they make is tastier too. Maybe if you are cranking the distortion the 490s complement those sounds, but I play loud cleans and run mostly OD.

Archived