Gibson Brands Forums

Learning to Play Help

Poppy

I hope that someone here will give me some advice, as I do not have anyone else to talk to about learning to play.

I am in my 50’s and I am just starting to learn how to play. My routine (about 5 times a week) is to start by playing the scales, major, minor, and pentatonic in different patterns up and down the neck using a metronome. Starting at a slow speed, increasing the speed to the point where I can still play each note clean and clear. I do this for about 15 to 20 minutes straight.

I then move onto playing all the chords I know for about 15 minutes, and then try to learn new cords.

Then I try to learn to play different songs from Tabs, mostly just different parts of the songs. There is one song that I am trying to play from beginning to end. “Mood for a Day,” Steve Howe, Yes. I know it is played on an acoustic, but I am playing it on my LP. I think this song offers a lot of stuff to learn.

The Question:

I do not plan to play in a band or in public, but I really want to play a lot of songs. So, should I keep my routine or just learn to play song from tabs? I have been doing this for about two months and if my estimate is right, it will take me about a year, at this pace to pick up my guitar and just play with little thought about it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Should I keep my routine or just learn to play song from tabs? I have been doing this for about two months and if my estimate is right' date=' it will take me about a year, at this pace to pick up my guitar and just play with little thought about it. [/quote']

I think that, certainly for now, your routine could hardly be improved, but remember to play stuff that gives you fun. If you aren't enjoying the playing you will soon get fed up.

If I may quote Les Paul;

"Super players (only got that way) after many years of hard work.

1). Be Patient.

2). Learn one thing at a time.

3). Don't worry about playing fast - this comes with practice. Start very slow and gradually increase the tempo, remembering to keep everything clean and even."

The more you understand the reason behind each scale and the more familiar your hands become in playing them, the sooner you will reach a place where you can play most anything you want.

Good luck with 'Mood For a Day' - I first tried to learn it when I was about 16 and it only showed me how bad I really was!

As far as one year goes; considering how much enjoyment music can give you for the rest of yor life one year isn't so very long to wait; I've been playing about 34 years and am still nowhere near as good as I'd like to be...[-(

It certainly sounds like you have the right attitude to become a fine player. Hard work brings rewards.

Yes, you should keep your routine, but also spend some time learning basic chords and chord shapes. I'd say go ahead pick up a songbook for the type of music you want to play and start learning some songs now. Break your practice into 2 sections... scales/theory, and chords/songs. That way you can see that you're progressing towards your goal of learning lots of songs, but not skimping on the important, scales-based theory stuff.

Gratz!!! And glad to have you amongst the git-fiddle playin' populace!

[thumbup]

I am in my 50’s and I am just starting to learn how to play. My routine (about 5 times a week) is to start by playing the scales' date=' major, minor, and pentatonic in different patterns up and down the neck using a metronome. Starting at a slow speed, increasing the speed to the point where I can still play each note clean and clear. I do this for about 15 to 20 minutes straight.

I then move onto playing all the chords I know for about 15 minutes, and then try to learn new cords.

Then I try to learn to play different songs from Tabs, mostly just different parts of the songs. There is one song that I am trying to play from beginning to end. “Mood for a Day,” Steve Howe, Yes. I know it is played on an acoustic, but I am playing it on my LP. I think this song offers a lot of stuff to learn.

[/quote']

Cripes! I'm trying to learn Violin, (age 60) and I WISH my routine was a good as yours! I've been playing guitar for 47 years and don't even recall when I couldn't just sit down and play SOMETHING I like.... and I taught myself piano when I was a teenager. But that seemed easier than what I'm doing now.

I'm having trouble with the violin, but am playing scales, but not as structured as you are attacking the guitar! (the left hand is fine...the bow hand sucks!).

I think you're going about it in a wonderful way. But I agree that you also need to work in something you really like and play it during your practicing...so it's not ALL work.

Good Luck, Bob

Thanks to Pippy and Hector. Yes, I do understand that it takes time, but I guess I am just like anyone who is just starting ( no matter what age) I want to play well NOW. I try to play everything clean, and as for the speed I just try to play at the speed of a song. I am not planning on being a shedder. I picked Mood for a Day because, it has the tempo changes, some finger picking, and arpeggios, if I am correct. Many things to learn. Thanks, and yes I am having fun.

I never had a regimented practice schedule and I'm completely self taught and have been gigging since 15(I'm 55 now)I don't know if I have A.D.D. but a structured learning method never appealed to me.I'd just mix it up with strumming and lead work,it must have worked because I've played lead in every band I've been in and never had any complaints.If structured practice becomes too much of a chore mixing it up certainly doesn't hurt.BTW I'm sure anyone in the 45+ age bracket and bona fide Beatles fans would like this book....The Beatles Complete Chord Song Book by Rikky Rooksby,it has chord diagrams of all Beatle songs and it's the first book I've seen that's 100% accurate,it's published by Hal Leonard.

-----------------------------------------------------------

To Dan and Chan thanks. Back in the early '90s I tried to learn how to play, pick up a cheap acoustic, but it was/is hard to play, your fingers need to be a Capo to barre, action is high. My Beautiful Wife got me a Yamaha Pacifica better to play then the acoustic however, the neck is skinny. I put them in the closet until about 4 months ago and started over. Just got my LP about 5 weeks ago and started with my routine, the LP is really nice to play, so I know I will be playing everyday good or bad.

I do understand that is important to know the theory side of playing and will try splitting up my practice. I play the scales to, well get my fingers moving but also to learn where the notes are on the neck. But mostly for now I am focusing on the mechanics, you getting my fingers and pick to go where I want them to go.

Thanks

To Bonzoboy, I think my approach this time is to be or try to have some structure, because I was allover the place before and got nowhere. But the internet back then did not have a lot of stuff about playing the guitar. Well now you can almost get any song tab you want and I want to play them. I do not think I am a "bona fide Beatles fans" but I like alot of their music, I think I lean more to the Lennon stuff, but I will look at the book. Thanks

Once you get the general idea of the sound each fret gives you and scales, forget about tabs and start trying to figure out things by ear. You'll improve a lot that way.

Also, it's a good idea to look for backing tracks on youtube or anywhere else on the net, so you can play the songs you like with drums and bass on the back, it is great to play guitar alone, but in time it gets a little boring as you cannot play all the parts at once.

By the way, welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of guitar playing!

Poppy...

This may sound stupid, but it kept me going since 1963...

Always try to learn, but also play for fun, not "work."

Play music you like.

You didn't say what style playing you wanna do... I think that makes a difference also on the playing/practice regimen.

E.g., I'm very much a fingerpicker; I tease that I play keyboard music on my guitar because that's what I like to do. Yeah, I can play other stuff/styles and do, especially when I'm playing with others, but...

So I just figure stuff I wanna play and play it. What I do, and fingerpicking in various sorts of styles, seems to me to be easier to wanna play all the time... But it's always, always, a learning experience as well as fun. Gigging is fun, too, though, so think, "If I was with family and they wanted to hear what I've been doing, what can I do to show them it's fun and maybe get them involved?"

That's where just a little folkie stuff is handy...

...m

Thunder, Milod, and Steve

I do have fun playing, doing my routine, and hacking around on the off days. I think what I want to know is am I going about this in the right way and from the answers I believe that for the most part I am. I think that starting at this point in my life the learning curve is big, and I believe that a rote type method will work.

Yes, training the ear, I am working on that, just like the idea of a bunch of monkeys typing on a keyboard, at some point they will type a real word. I to while practicing chords, have strummed a part of a song and say hay I know that, its this song or that song. But for now I like my training wheels the pickgaurd and tabs. Also, I am real sad about the news that I cannot play all the parts.[biggrin] As far as playing with people, well, I just want to be able to play a whole song.

As for the type of music Rock, Blues. "Stones, The Who, Yes," you know! The blues, Muddy Water, Howlin' Wolf, and Blind "Whoever" love the blues, maybe because you do not have to play them fast.

Archived