Gibson Brands Forums

Some Old Vintgae Gibsons -- video/audio clips

tpbiii

We have been working for maybe a year to come up with an easy-to-use (just sit down and play) recording environment that can faithfully capture the sound of some of our old guitars. Here are some examples from the current system for some old large bodied Gibson flattops. The guitars are a '36 J-35 (Trojan), a '36 Smeck SD, a '42 SJ, a '42 J-45, a '43 J-45, and a '52 J-45. You need a high speed connection and either a good audio system are a good set of headphone to get the effect.

Best,

-Tom

Old Gibsons

We have been working for maybe a year to come up with an easy-to-use (just sit down and play) recording environment that can faithfully capture the sound of some of our old guitars.

Wonderful job. And thank you for sharing these old guitars. Can you tell me what microphone and video equipment you used. I'm assuming that the built-in mikes on video cams might be good enough for youtube but not for the quality of sound you are getting, right?

Thanks again!

William Gray (aka Billy Tweed) from Portland

P.S. to anybody: I've saw the Roy Smeck SD for sale at Gruhns, but the price seems awfully steep even with the Norman Blake connection. If it weren't that Norman is my favorite player in the world I wouldn't even think about it. The chance to own a guitar that Norman played is intriguing, even though I will never play it like he does.

Any idea what that guitar would be worth without the Norman Blake connection?

Can you tell me what microphone and video equipment you used. I'm assuming that the built-in mikes on video cams might be good enough for youtube but not for the quality of sound you are getting, right?

Right. Here is a post on the UMGF from last spring where I describe the system. The goal is for it to be relatively inexpensive but still excellent quality. The acid test is that the recording sound the same through high quality earphones as the actual guitar sounds on my lap.

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/topic/74131

Any idea what that guitar would be worth without the Norman Blake connection?

In this market, maybe $6K-$7K.

Best,

-Tom

• 3 weeks later...

Tom, I enjoyed listening to these so much, thank you for posting them. Just a thought, but maybe you could post these links on the Vintage section of this forum. I suspect that there are people who would be interested that don't regularly check in here, or at all. Also, didn't you also do some videos a few months ago where it was just you demonstrating the guitars and talking about them? I think I remember seeing a few of them on the umgf and loved those too, including the Martin's. I know this is a Gibson forum, but what the heck, we all love guitars no matter what they are.

Archived