Gibson Brands Forums

1999 Gibson Explorer Limited Edition?

Andrewabr

I took the photo.

I have the guitar, I bought it a couple years back as an impulse buy. I lost my job so I am hoping to throw it up on ebay but I dont know explorers that well and I wanted to find out why this one is limited.

The first and fifth numbers are 99.

Mine is a 2008 just like it, does not have a "Limited Edition" printed on it though.

The limited edition in the case is the color scheme, "Natural" Explorers seem to be made in batches few times a year, if you look right now with online retailers you will see that most likely is not available in this color.

That is not a bad or good, Gibson seems to only make them in limited numbers because this color is not the biggest seller at the same time some people could pay a premium to get this color since it is not always available.

Sorry to hear about your job and good luck.

What bothers me about this guitar is the mismatched wood on the left side of the body. Sure this is purely a cosmetic but for $1200, you would think Gibson would be a little more careful about selecting pieces of wood for the body of a natural finished guitar. Back in the late 70s/early 80s Norlin's, that imperfection would have merited the infamous "Second" stamp on the back of the headstock instead of the serial number

That is a tricky piece, in mine it is more noticeable depending on the angle you look at it.

From an angle is invisible from another angle you can clearly see it.

Some Explorers are finished in Amber, that takes care of that problem.

Archived