Gibson Brands Forums

Climate is changing dramatically!

DeVeeWee

Ever notice how they always say something like, this is the hottest (or coldest) day on record since _____.

How can it be out of the ordinary if it's happened several times before?

The fact is we have always had unstable weather, if you study history you can not help but realize this fact.

The Great Blizzard of 1888 (March 11!)

http://www.nycsubway.org/articles/1888-blizzard.html

On December 26, 1947, along eastern US it snowed almost continually until shortly after three o'clock in the morning of the next day. About twenty-five inches of snow fell.

Remember Oct. 10 1871? The Great Chicago Fire? Killed 250 people in Chicago? That year the US suffered one of it's droughts, on the same night, a forest fire roared into Peshtigo, Wisconsin, killing an estimated 1000 people.

The 1972 blizzard that hit Iran, from Feb 3 to Feb 9 it dumped 10 feet of snow and killed @ 4,000. Southern Iran was hit with 26 feet of snow.

The Year with no Summer, caused by volcanic activity (200,000 European died from effects of this)

http://www.dandantheweatherman.com/Bereklauw/yearnosummer.html

Other years with cool summers were 1695 and 1725.

The point is when it comes to weather we all have blinders on. One reason for this is we didn't start keeping records until recently, we believe everything that happens to us is the worse ever. The truth is man has always been at the mercy of weather conditions, volcanoes and earthquakes.

This doesn't mean we shouldn't do more to clean our environment up. But we should be aware of the facts.

Jax....

You nailed it. One must needs recall how there was a farming colony on Greenland some thousand years ago when the "climate" was far warmer than today.

I tend personally to figure we're still emerging into "normal" temps from the "Little Ice Age" when there were huge festivals on the frozen Thames at London.

As I've noted before, there were times in the prehistory of mankind in North America that were I now live was far too hot and dry for much human occupation.

I think personally, too, that it's largely the same human vanity, albeit from the opposite direction, that brought us the unsinkable ship Titanic.

And believe me, as one who has a nice little award for "conservation communication," I'm the last person to suggest we don't consider consequences of electrification and motor vehicles for a population doubled from my own youth.

m

Jax....

You nailed it. One must needs recall how there was a farming colony on Greenland some thousand years ago when the "climate" was far warmer than today.

I tend personally to figure we're still emerging into "normal" temps from the "Little Ice Age" when there were huge festivals on the frozen Thames at London.

As I've noted before' date=' there were times in the prehistory of mankind in North America that were I now live was far too hot and dry for much human occupation.

I think personally, too, that it's largely the same human vanity, albeit from the opposite direction, that brought us the unsinkable ship Titanic.

And believe me, as one who has a nice little award for "conservation communication," I'm the last person to suggest we don't consider consequences of electrification and motor vehicles for a population doubled from my own youth.

m

[/quote']

Sorta tickled me when prehistoric tree stumps were noticed in an area where a glacier was receding. [cool]

Archived