Gibson Brands Forums

Old violin

albertjohn

I just took a quick glance but all I could see was the need for a new bridge and maybe the pegs could be fitted a little better. And a full set of four fine tuners (unless you were putting gut strings on it). And I'm guessing the soundpost has fallen or is missing altogether?

It's beautiful. Don't let it go. Ignore any cosmetic issues, that's just skin deep.

I have an old "Strad" in need of tlc.

Pics are at

http://s345.photobucket.com/albums/p373/walterpij/Old%20violin/

Here are some pics of my "strad". It was my FIL's when he was kid' date=' so if he got it brand-new, it would be 80 years old. I took it to a place in Berkeley and they put it all together for me.... the bow's were trash, so I bought a new one, (about $200). The violin tech, (luthier?), played it and it sounded un-freakin'-believeable. Right now I'm just doing scales trying to get comfortable on it.

The guy put a value on it about $1200-$1500.

Do you know the brand name? It's probably more than worth it to put it all together...doesn't look much different than mine "before".

[img']http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac94/DanvillRob/Violin-h.jpg?t=1261338714[/img]

Violin-e.jpg?t=1261338789

Violin-b.jpg?t=1261338846

I've got a copy of a Jacob Stainer (Austrian, not the English violins branded as Stainers) made in 1776. Mine doesn't say it's a copy, but since it was built in 1776 and Stainer died in the 1680s, I'm pretty sure it's not one of his. Between his death and the rise of Stradivari, copies were being built all over Germany.

My great-great-grandfather bought it in 1908, according to a label inside, and played it until he smashed it in 1916. The family story is that a string broke and hit him in the eye, so he threw it across the room. In 1932 he rebuilt it, and it's been in its case unplayed since then. It still has two gut strings from whenever he last played it.

My grandfather told me today that he found the last tuning peg (I have 3, he found number 4 in his desk). I was just looking at parts to complete it after ksdaddy's cello thread the other day. As far as I can tell, all it needs is to have the tuning pegs fitted a bit better, and a coat of some kind of finish.

I'll get photos later.

Fiddles/violins are an interesting item to buy and sell. They all look alike, there's no name on a headstock to help you jump to conclusions about quality, and there's not many folks that can look one over and say if it's any good.

Yours needs a fingerboard- they're cheap enough, but add a new nut, bridge, maybe pegs, strings, perhaps a tailpiece with 4 fine tuners and a luthier interested in doing it for you and you have spent $500- for which you can get a pretty nice one already fixed up.

If you are attached to it I say go ahead and fix it- better to keep the old stuff going than buying mediocre new stuff that tries to look old.

Thanks for the replies chaps.

The violin has lived in one of my outbuildings for about 5 years in a wooden box. It has no cracks or damage, except for the superficial scratches. The fingerboard cracked after I brought it into the warm house, which is a shame but to expected I suppose. I'm sure someone has said on this forum that you don't have to oil ebony?

The pics don't really show it but inside one of the f holes is a label stating;

"Antonius Stradauarius Cremonentis (Yes a "u" and not a "v")

Faciebat Anno 1734" the 34 is written freehand in pencil.

Then a cross motif with the letters AJ, all in a circle.

My t'internet research would suggest this is almost certainly a fake built in Germany or Eastern Europe and not in 1734, possibly in the 1950s or later. I never expected it to be genuine but have now grown quite attached to it. I'm going to take it over to Robbie (luthier and genius) for his views. I don't mind spending £200 or so as that is what I'll have to pay for a decent full sized violin for Maud.

Modfather, it's a shame we're not closer. Could've been an interesting project - assuming you'd take it on of course.

Thanks again.

PS I just remembered that the finish on the underside of the neck is worn/sanded away. It looks as if it's been done on purpose - like some guitarists do to aid comfort and playability - and is now plain wood.

PS I just remembered that the finish on the underside of the neck is worn/sanded away. It looks as if it's been done on purpose - like some guitarists do to aid comfort and playability - and is now plain wood.

That's normal. It was built that way. I can only guess as to why; it's one of those elementary questions anyone should know the answer to, but if you asked 10 violinists you might get 10 different answers. My guess is that the composition of old-school varnish is so soft that the heat from one's left hand could soften it while playing.

Just my guess of course. Some might say it has to do with feel. Some would just shrug and respond "that's they way they've always been".

Archived