Gibson Brands Forums

damn it!

Thundergod

Well, the Mac 's new Unix OS - which isn't really Mac OS, but is a flavor of Unix similar to Linux - does have a way to use the older software, but there's always difficulty with hardware drivers with dual boot systems, it seems.

The PC theoretically can drop back also with specific software but again, it's drivers that tend to be the problem - especially with Vista. Then there's the hardware itself that may or may not even attach to either Mac or PC in their newer iterations.

I know both MS - the real power behind the so-called "PC" begun by IBM years ago - and Apple claim they're making things better and faster, but let's face it, "legacy" applications aren't really a priority and they keep the software companies happy and producing new versions by bypassing a lot of legacy stuff. Apple's more guilty of that, I think, but with cause since they have a smaller installed base, a need to be "cutting edge" and to keep secondary suppliers happy with them.

So I guess I'm cynical. Bottom line is that they've made it almost more hassle, if not more money, to use older but still-functional hardware and software.

Imagine, for example, that every 5-10 years all guitar manufacturers got together and changed all the electrical stuff in their guitars so you'd have to buy a new amp... or rebuild your new guitar with "old" pickups and pots. That's what the computer folk have done. They also made it functionally impossible to find "old" pickups and pots - the computer equivalent, that is.

I actually hear more complaints from Mac folks than PCs on that one, and it's why a lotta schools around here dropped Apple equipment entirely. It's a slower-rising problem for the PC, but it's a problem nevertheless for outfits with dozens, if not hundreds or thousands of CPUs.

Some day I think we'll have a degree of stability, but right now it's Win XP and possibly Win 7 - which also is why the bad guys target it. You pays your money for stability and you pay the price with more potential for external hacks.

m

Wow! I'm afraid of needles too! And spiders! And of heights. You think it's all the same for the other great guitarists out there? :-

Now back on topic... I have no way of runing nuendo 2 into that thing and making it work with everything else.

Now the good news is, I just read all the info they have on steinberg's site and it seems nuendo 4 is more like a postproduction suite for audio AND video... and the new Cubase 5 has everything audio related you could find in nuendo the difference being the lack of a video editing and mastering (?) engine... and it costs 1/4 of what nuendo does. Steinberg has released updates to #4 so it works with both the new imac and my interface and controller. 5 is already made to work with the new imacs and tascam has released new drivers for both the interface and the controller, mackie has done the same.

Looks like I'll get cubase 5, I might buy it online and stick with my old hardware and software till: it arives, I take the imac home and spend at least 1 month learning everything there is to learn of that new DAW.

Good times ahead!

Now the good news is' date=' I just read all the info they have on steinberg's site and it seems nuendo 4 is more like a postproduction suite for audio AND video... and the new Cubase 5 has everything audio related you could find in nuendo the difference being the lack of a video editing and mastering (?) engine... and it costs 1/4 of what nuendo does. Steinberg has released updates to #4 so it works with both the new imac and my interface and controller. 5 is already made to work with the new imacs and tascam has released new drivers for both the interface and the controller, mackie has done the same.

Looks like I'll get cubase 5, I might buy it online and stick with my old hardware and software till: it arives, I take the imac home and spend at least 1 month learning everything there is to learn of that new DAW.

Good times ahead![/quote']

That's great news! I love CUBASE 5. Seems like they did some major upgrades from 4. The only issue I had was with their ASIO driver when I plugged in my synth to use their VST instruments. It was a latency issue that changing settings in CUBASE couldn't solve. I downloaded asio4all and it fixed the problem. But since you're running it on a Mac you should have no problems. Let us know how you like it once you get it...

Yea right. PCs are so much better' date=' they give me time to turn it on, go to the head, get a cup of coffee, take my time to say good morning to everyone, and about the time I get back to my desk, it's almost ready to log in...almost. Yea they are so much better. If I used a Mac at work, I wouldn't have time for any of that, it would screw up my whole morning routine.[/quote']

HAHA Yes. What you said...my mac boots up in 10 seconds....full reboot in 25 or less.....love it!

Wow! I'm afraid of needles too! And spiders! And of heights. You think it's all the same for the other great guitarists out there? :)

Now back on topic... I have no way of runing nuendo 2 into that thing and making it work with everything else.

Now the good news is' date=' I just read all the info they have on steinberg's site and it seems nuendo 4 is more like a postproduction suite for audio AND video... and the new Cubase 5 has everything audio related you could find in nuendo the difference being the lack of a video editing and mastering (?) engine... and it costs 1/4 of what nuendo does. Steinberg has released updates to #4 so it works with both the new imac and my interface and controller. 5 is already made to work with the new imacs and tascam has released new drivers for both the interface and the controller, mackie has done the same.

Good times ahead![/quote']

Best news I heard all Day TG, really glad it worked out for you.

Archived