Gibson Brands Forums

Introducing.......

Murph

Congrats Murph!!!

Burstbuckers Pros?

Are they really that different from 57 Classics?

Measured output is about the same, not a whole lot of difference that I'm aware of.

I got BB Pros in one of my Les Pauls, and always wondered how the 57's would change anything.

I LOVE the 57's in my 335 and SG.

Congrats Murph!!!

Burstbuckers Pros?

Are they really that different from 57 Classics?

Measured output is about the same' date=' not a whole lot of difference that I'm aware of.

I got BB Pros in one of my Les Pauls, and always wondered how the 57's would change anything.

I LOVE the 57's in my 335 and SG.[/quote']

No Neo, the Wine Red Studio has the 498T/490R combo, and it's hotter than a Firecracker. I had to literally turn the Mesa down "quite a bit" to get the same breakup/volume as with the 57's in the 339. This thing is every bit as hot as the ceremics in my '79 SG.

I'm taking both of them tonight for the first time, it'll be interesting to see which guitar gets the most play time.

:-k

New to the forum. My 1st post.

Hey Murph, and you all,

By coincidence, I also bought a 2008 Wine Red LP Studio just before Xmas. It is the first guitar with humbuckers that I've ever owned. I decided I should expand my sound possibilities with humbuckers and if I was going to get a guitar with humbuckers, it should be the "definitive sounding" one, a Les Paul.

I bought this particular model for the same reasons some of you have mentioned; no frills/best value/etc. I picked the wine red because I think it is the best-looking of the choices, really suits the unbinded body, all my other electrics are black (not so much by choice as by circumstances), and most importantly, my astute wife told me it was a beautiful-looking guitar.

I played it for about a week to get used to it (being only used to Fender single-coil electrics), before I decided to do any tweaking. It just sounded great to me right away thru my little Champion XD. All of a sudden, I was sounding like J. C. Fogerty with CCR. After a couple of days, I gave my wife a little private performance to convince her the investment was worth it. She was impressed and finally agreed that they don't "always sound the same anyways".

As far as set-up, mine came off the shelf pretty good. The relief and action were both slightly higher than factory specs. I wouldn't doubt it's due to it being made at least 2 years ago and being shipped to very different climate conditions than where it was made. I was able to reduce the relief and lower the strings to slightly below factory specs. without any problems or buzzes. Like Murph's experience, the intonation was already set correctly. I've been playing it now for a month and it feels and sounds real good.

First Impressions:

- No more doubting the difference in tone between singles and humbuckers with a tube amp. (I hear you guys, well d'uh).

- To get all the sounds, you still need both types of pickups, with a tube amp. (I hear you guys, well d'uh).

- The LP Studio feels and plays closer to my acoustic than do the fender guitars, which is good for me since I switch a lot.

- It is a more versatile guitar in terms of styles/sounds in one instrument.

- It is indeed a beautiful-looking and great-playing guitar with a solid feel to it.

- Although the intonation is good, the fretted notes on the first three frets seem to be sharp to me. I think the nut or nut slots are slighty too high. I'm not about to mess with my nut at this point. Maybe it will "ride up with wear".

Whew, that's enough already. I can't wait to see what my signature looks like.

Archived