Gibson Brands Forums

Suprise Shipping Cost ?

suburude63

I have a question for you guys. I will tell you a story of something that happened to me recently in buying a guitar and haveing it shipped . The question is what would you do?

After buying a guitar from someone we were agreeing on how a nd when to ship and cost of shipping ect. At first I was told it would be around $80 to ship and insure it 3 day select . I was also told for $115 I could get Overnite Super saver or something like that. Anyway I decided on the 3 day select.($80 includeing Insurance)

After thinking on it overnight I decided to go the overnight saver ($115) so I told him Id send $58 more to cover the difference.

I get an e mail stateing the guitar was shipped but unfortunately it was $120 more than expected for the overnight late next day service . Please cover the difference . #-o

This is the rub ! I felt I was given shipping cost by the seller and 1) Cannot afford the more expensive way nor would I ever had done it that way had I known. I would never spend $200 + for shipping a guitar domestically. [crying]

I told the seller I felt I was not responsible for his bad judgement call . Why did he not wait and e mail me and ask if I was willing to go that high or why he did not have his cost straight .

I have not paid the over cost.

Anyway thats the question . What would you guys have done. :-$

I would have done they same. They quoted you what they thought and you agreed. Then they changed it after they had already paid.

How is it being shipped? I know with USPS packages, the price will show up right on the tag. Maybe other couriers would be able to tell you how much was paid. Just out of curiosity. I know I like seeing what shipping actually is.

I sold off about 25 violins a couple months ago. The first one went dirt cheap and I think I charged $12 or $15 shipping. I packed it in a stray box with no regard to the size. It wasn't 'big', but it was bigger than needed, and it was available. I took it to the post office and since it was over one cubic foot, they wanted $30 for priority mail. I took it back home, trimmed an inch off the thickness of the box, took it back and it was $10 to ship.

There have been many cases in my 10+ years on ebay where I had to eat some shipping but it generally balanced out at the end of the day. But I feel it's my job to know what to charge ahead of time and if I screw up, I wouldn't dare ask the buyer to help out with the cost.

I sold off about 25 violins a couple months ago. The first one went dirt cheap and I think I charged $12 or $15 shipping. I packed it in a stray box with no regard to the size. It wasn't 'big'' date=' but it was bigger than needed, and it was available. I took it to the post office and since it was over one cubic foot, they wanted $30 for priority mail. I took it back home, trimmed an inch off the thickness of the box, took it back and it was $10 to ship.

There have been many cases in my 10+ years on ebay where I had to eat some shipping but it generally balanced out at the end of the day. But I feel it's my job to know what to charge ahead of time and if I screw up, I wouldn't dare ask the buyer to help out with the cost.[/quote']

Thats what I felt! Thanks guys for your input! Jim

his mistake. he eats the bill.

I'd have to agrere with Modoc_333 on this. I work in logistics (shippping of freight) and when I make an estamate to a customer on shipping charges it is my responsibility to be correct. If there was a difference in cost he did not know of until he took it to the freight company he should have notified you and gotten your approval before he shipped it.

I will also go as far as to say anyone doing any business via US MAil, UPS, FedEx, etc. should know the freight charges for shippping that item before hand. You can get a free rate quote on line or at any of their facilities.

Not sure how the shippers, UPS, FedEx, et.al., operate, but by changing the routing from not so expedited to a more expedited after you placed the order caused a lot of kerfuffle ($) at the warehouse.

It's been a while since I've been involved with logistics, but if you ship an item UPS brown, let's say, then after the Big Brown Truck picks it up you COULD upgrade the shipping to UPS Next Day Air.. However, you will incur an additional charge ABOVE the normal UPS Next Day Air rate as they have to track the package down and re-route it. You might even have to incur the original UPS ground charge as well. In my opinion, this is a fair an equitable charge due to the added activity required to re-route your box.

I'd say an additional $5 is a small price to pay for re-routing your package mid-stream.

Next time... don't change the routing after you order something. This too is how packages can, and do, get lost.

Not sure how the shippers' date=' UPS, FedEx, et.al., operate, but by changing the routing from not so expedited to a more expedited after you placed the order caused a lot of kerfuffle ($) at the warehouse.

It's been a while since I've been involved with logistics, but if you ship an item UPS brown, let's say, then after the Big Brown Truck picks it up you COULD upgrade the shipping to UPS Next Day Air.. However, you will incur an additional charge ABOVE the normal UPS Next Day Air rate as they have to track the package down and re-route it. You might even have to incur the original UPS ground charge as well. In my opinion, this is a fair an equitable charge due to the added activity required to re-route your box.

I'd say an additional $5 is a small price to pay for re-routing your package mid-stream.

Next time... don't change the routing after you order something. This too is how packages can, and do, get lost. [/quote']

That changes everything.

Was it shipped and then changed, or was it shipped overnight originally? If it was shipped and then you changed your mind, I have to agree with the seller.

Archived