Gibson Brands Forums

How much does a re-fret job affect the value of a guitar

daveinspain

I guys,

I saw and add for a gorgeous Les Paul 1973 Black Beauty in perfect condition all original; electronics, hardware, finish...etc, but its had a pro refret job about six months ago... How much will this affect the value of the guitar?

Wow, that's tough. Well a bad re-fret job could lower the value.

If it's well down and plays or better than before the value may go up.

Just be honest about it if you were to buy and some where down the road you

decided to sell.

Buying it just to one day re-sell and hope to rake in the big bucks may not work.

Good luck.

To me it would depend on if I am buying it as a collector or to play it. If I am buying it to play it and the re-fret is done properly it should not effect the price you are willing to pay. A re-fret will have to be done on a guitar sooner or later if it is played.

Now, if I was buying it as a collector I guess I would have to pass or get a real good deal on it as it is not original.

I believe in playing the guitars thus it owuld need a re-fret sooner or later.

I agree depends on what your buying it for. A 1973 LP probably needed a fret job in 1974 the 73 model was notorious for low frets they used to make fun of them as a fretless model. thats a weird year some huge fans and then again I have seen them all over the place on price. One of my first LP many years ago before anybody called that a collectable.

I would have to say so what. It would only be not original If it was a repaint/changed pickups/ electronics/ or hardware. To me frets and tuners don't count and it better be a good job/good quality/same size/ and the action better be real good with no problems with high or uneven frets. It's kinda like tires or spark plug wires on a 1959 chevy that all original, hey it would be nice if they were there in good safe condition and would bring over top dollar, but unlikely.

OK... I hear you. The fret job on the blacl Beauty looks good, was done by San Francisco luthier Gary Brawer... I guess he must be good as he was mentioned in the add. This guitar was a "fretless wonder" model. The frets were very low and I guess hard to play. It has been re-fretted with bigger frets. In the pics he sent it looks like a nice job. The only thing that worries me is that I have seen fretless wonder Black Beauties on Ebay many times and on Gbase as well and they always seem to hype up the fact that its a Fretless wonder. So this is a Fretless wonder thats been refretted... Sorry if I am making this a complicated issue when it might not even be...

Its not that I want to buy to rake in big bucks' date=' if I'm gonna spend that kind of money I want a good investment too...[/quote']

Here you go. You mention "Investment". To me that states you are buying it with hopes that the value will go up and you can make money on it. Thus, you do not intend to play it because if you play it and something happens to the guitar it is nolonger an investment but an instrument. That is what I see it as.

With that in mind, you would have less possible buyers in the future for this guitar because of the re-fret job plus an all original will be worth more than a re-fret one.

Just my .02

There's two types of refret:

1. The most common, where the nibs that join the fret ends from the binding are filed down and the frets are cut longer so they fit over the binding.

2. Where the binding is removed and the replaced with the nibs being reinstated just like the original. The neck will be partially re-lacquerd over the binding.

The latter costs mega bucks.

Some collectors won't touch guitars refretted by method 1. unless the guitar is rare. Otherwise most people are aware that guitars will need refretting after a period of heavy playing and that method 2. is the most affordable for a player.

Some guitars' playability are greatly improved by re-fretting (esp the fretless wonders imho) despite their not being original afterwards.

It all depends if you're buying as a collector or as a player.

Archived