Gibson Brands Forums

recifiers?

saturn

Question for the amp gurus.

I notice that many tube amps only list the pre amp and power amp tube types. I assume this means there is a SS rectifier. Do you think there is a big or noticable difference between an all tube rectifier and a solid state diode?

Thanks

If none is mentioned, you can safely assume that it's a SS rectifier. If there was a tube rectifier, the manufacturer would have listed it as a marketing point.

Yes, there is a pretty noticeable difference. I use a Mesa Stiletto Deuce with my band and both channels have a switch to select between a solid state or tube rectifier. A tube rectifier will have more "sag" and "give" to it which feels like compression where a SS rectifier feels more solid. I use the SS settings on my amp as I do a bit of playing with hard rock tones and the tube rectifier just feels like mush and the low end gets crappy. Conversely, when playing clean or with mild overdrive, I prefer the tube rectifier as I like that sag and give.

Thanks.

My B52 has a selector on the back which has always confused me. it's for Class A, Class A/B and Solid State rectifier.

I never saw what tubes running in Class A or A/B had to do with the rectifier? But, I rarely set it on the SS setting and when I have I haven't noticed a huge difference. Even runnning it in Class A mode, it never seems to have a lot of sag.

Archived