Gibson Brands Forums

Capacitor question

Andre S

Not an electronics geek here, but it's been my belief the higher the value cap you use, the more highs that will get cut. Something around a 47 is "normal" but many people prefer the 22 so they have more fine control over the tone.

I see no reason why you couldn't use a 22.

I'm sure someone more well versed in electronics can explain it better than that....

Not an electronics geek here' date=' but it's been my belief the higher the value cap you use, the more highs that will get cut. Something around a 47 is "normal" but many people prefer the 22 so they have more fine control over the tone.

I see no reason why you couldn't use a 22.

I'm sure someone more well versed in electronics can explain it better than that....[/quote']

This would make sense right?

Rewiring a Les paul for 2 vol 2 tone is just like making up a control circuit for an Explorer right?

So I could just check the parts that say RSguitarworks uses for replacement Explorer circuits and use that?

The difference is that the SeymourDuncan Diagram uses 500k pots for the voume, that makes a guitar brighter. A 0.047 cap would work there.

Most modern Gibsons use a 300k volume pot so the 0.047 would makes things too dark.

I changed the wiring of my Explorer and used a 500k pot for the volume, I used 0.022 caps even though SD diagrams used 0.047 caps. The treble roll off is more gradual and the guitar never gets too dark in sound even rolling the treble all the way off. Works for me.

The difference is that the SeymourDuncan Diagram uses 500k pots for the voume' date=' that makes a guitar brighter. A 0.047 cap would work there.

[b']Most[/b] modern Gibsons use a 300k volume pot so the 0.047 would makes things too dark.

I changed the wiring of my Explorer and used a 500k pot for the volume, I used 0.022 caps even though SD diagrams used 0.047 caps. The treble roll off is more gradual and the guitar never gets too dark in sound even rolling the treble all the way off. Works for me.

Yea, the RS wiring kit for explorers use 500k pots and a 22uf cap

The Mick are you sure about the short, everyone else tells me go with the long?

Archived