Gibson Brands Forums

"Beauty of the 'Burst"?

ledzep59

Anyone else here read this book by Iwanade? I'm sure a number of you have. I just got my copy yesterday and I finished it today. Great book that covers nearly every general aspect of the "holy grail" LP. The photographs and the guitars in the photographs leave me speechless. That wood gives me wood. I would have liked a little bit more information on each guitar, but I could see confidentiality being a factor. Overall, I really enjoyed this book. Anyone else?

PS. My R9 STILL isn't ready, but I did just order a pair of aged double cream PAF's from Sheptone (Custom AB bridge, Blue Sky neck)! I can't wait!

Magnificent book.

If I were to pick a fault with it it would be the lack of colour control between the pages. Most likely colour differences between the different shoots, as not all were shot in the same studio by the same photographer!

The one thing I don't understand about that book is all the heel references; like "note the large heel."

The flat half-moon shaped part where the heel of the neck butts up to the body. On most of the '58 instruments the front edge of this heel is quite some way away from the straight part of the body giving the neck a large heel. By 1960 it was more usual to have this part of the neck dressed away (the neck, effectively, being a slightly longer straight section) so that there was a less pronounced bump before the flat part of the body was reached.

I've had the book about 18 months and it's getting very tired!

It was originally published for the Japanese market in 1996 and has only been available in an English text form in intermittent printings. It was almost a year before I found my copy in London.

I especially appreciated the descriptions of what was meant by Flat-sawn, Rift-sawn Quarter-sawn, Flitch-maching and so on.

Everyone here should buy a copy!

Archived