Gibson Brands Forums

Custom Cases - Gibson loses focus

bluenote

When I bought my ES-339 I spent more than two hours deciding which of the stores six 339's I wanted. Before that I had searched the net thoroughly as well. I think I shopped smart and got a great guitar at an acceptable price. - BUT because my focus was all on the guitar I didn't think too much about the case. When I was back home inspecting the case I found that there were sticky stains all over the exterior, which I think was glue dripped in the process of applying the black covering, and a large white stain on the bottom of the case. I couldn't wipe them off with mild soap and water.

Also, the edge binding was coming away from the case at the handle area.

The last straw was bits and pieces of shop debris in the case. (not good with a new Gibson or any respectable guitar)

I figured this was too much so I took it back, and asked for a replacement. The guys at the store were excellent, but they had to pick through the remaining five cases to find the one that was acceptable. This costs everybody money and time, and its only due to sloppy workmanship.

I've heard other stories recently about the newer cases being at below standard quality. I really hope that Gibson will recognize this and put focus back into their case workmanship! (especially for customs!)

I don't believe Gibson makes their own cases. From what I remember it is TKL in Canada who makes the cases. Great subject though and should be addressed.

Canadians.....figures. lol

I agree, you pay big bucks for the instrument the case should be quality as well.

I've heard other stories recently about the newer cases being at below standard quality. I really hope that Gibson will recognize this and put focus back into their case workmanship! (especially for customs!)

Talk to your friends up there in the Great White North - all my Gibson cases came with little red maple leaf "Made in Canada" stickers.

I always thought we sent our rejects to Quebec and keep the good stuff in Ontario? [cool]

Gibson cases are made in Canada; not sure if it's all all of them, though. (I mean Gibson USA & Custom Shop cases.) Anyways, I've heard of a new cases being like that but I've never seen one first hand. Glad it worked out for you in the end.

The cases that Gibson sells with guitars are a good basic/cheap guitar case fine for hauling back from the store and storage at home. Any guitar that is going out for a night gigging or is headed to a class or just about anywhere is placed into one of three good Ameritage cases I have made for the Les Paul guitar. I would never trust a normal gibson case and if your flying and ned to gate check your guitar good luck if it's not in a flight case.

The cases that Gibson sells with guitars are a good basic/cheap guitar case fine for hauling back from the store and storage at home. Any guitar that is going out for a night gigging or is headed to a class or just about anywhere is placed into one of three good Ameritage cases I have made for the Les Paul guitar. I would never trust a normal gibson case and if your flying and ned to gate check your guitar good luck if it's not in a flight case.

How will a flight case affect my tone?

Does it enable me to fly around the stage as well?

Archived