Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Alternitives?

jjulch

I've done the guitar string mind trick too. I did buy a guitar which I wasn't happy with, on the belief that a new set of strings would fix it. It didn't so I sold it on fairly quickly. Strings were not the only reason though.

Conversely, I do believe that a great guitar will sound great even with old strings.

The 'buy used' advice is pretty good--as long as you don't get something that requires another $500 of work. But I'd start with used options-- just play the guitar and make certain it plays comfortably and is in OK shape.

And if you're in Detroit-- there has to be a lot of folks selling their guitars with the economic shape of that town!

Here's a quick spin down the Detroit Craigslist-

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/msg/1511302835.html

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/msg/1509724866.html

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/msg/1502357867.html

And my Personal fav: http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/msg/1499262687.html (but probably not something you're interested in!)

I never noticed someone in my area selling a Gibson Acoustic for only $500. I'll have to check that one out...

Don't compromise for what you want it will only cost you more down the road. I've made the mistake buying something then soon later I find myself looking to buy/sell again. I'm of the "less is more" attitude so get rid of the inventory and buy the best you can afford. You'll never be disatisfied when you buy the best no mater if you're buying a pair of shoes, bicycle, car, or a guitar. It has taken a lot time, money, and effort to come to this position. I agree with many of the opinions shared here prior regarding other brands and models. However, you won't be satified long term and you'll be back in the buy/sell mode again. I do agree with buying used current models to help reach your goal provided they're in good condition. There is my rant but, trust me buy what you want!

Going back to the Taylor my friend bought today... When we played it outside the indoor wood shack at Guitar Center, the guitar sounded incredible. Even with its strings. It was a Taylor 214? The strings were fairly new, but it was nice never the less. Maybe I'll look for a used verison of the same guitar. But what about Gibson? There is another place in Waterford Michigan that has the largest collections of guitars I've ever seen. There are so many other Gibson's I want to try out. Maybe I should go that route.... Its so hard to decide. Also Finishes? I'm liking the burst finish, but black is near impossible to find a black Gibson. Argh... so hard to figure out....

Don't compromise for what you want it will only cost you more down the road. I've made the mistake buying something then soon later I find myself looking to buy/sell again. I'm of the "less is more" attitude so get rid of the inventory and buy the best you can afford. You'll never be disatisfied when you buy the best no mater if you're buying a pair of shoes' date=' bicycle, car, or a guitar. It has taken a lot time, money, and effort to come to this position. I agree with many of the opinions shared here prior regarding other brands and models. However, you won't be satified long term and you'll be back in the buy/sell mode again. I do agree with buying used current models to help reach your goal provided they're in good condition. There is my rant but, trust me buy what you want![/quote']

I've done the buy too soon things twice that I'd like to go back and do again. My first new truck and my Epiphone Les Paul. I never looked at a full size truck and bought an S-10 only to find the payment would of been the same. The Les Paul was paid full price and the gig bag cost nearly what a hardshell case would of. Should of looked for a used Gibson LP. A co-worker purchased one with case for what my new Epiphone cost. Argh!!! I'm still learning the lesson never to buy new, let someone else take the hit on the value loss.

One day, I'll learn. (BTW, I've heard its the best way to purchase the Heritage guitars)

If the SJ-200 is the guitar you want don't buy a substitute. Do what it takes to get the guitar you want or you'll continue to chase it. I've learned it the hard way like you. I've now purged my inventory down to my "keepers" a Martin D-35 & Strat to make room for the J-45 I've been wanting. These are the type of instruments that will last you a lifetime and give you much pride to own. Do the hard work to get the SJ-200 it will be worth effort.

It's all pretty much been said, and I agree with the consensus that your options are:

1. Buy used. Even if you had the money for new, I'd suggest buying used. I learned the hard way.

2. Epiphone Masterbilts are great, if you don't mind a satin finish

3. Seagulls are nice. I also like Recording Kings for <$700 guitars.

4. If you go the used Gibson route, there are good deals to be had on dreads. Jumbos are probably out of reach. I wouldn't worry about the finish. Find one you like in your price range. You'll grow to love the look of it once it's yours (and yes, you're very unlikely to find a black Gibson you can afford).

5. You mentioned the Taylor 214. I'm a big fan of the 114/214. They're not Gibsons, but a used 114/214 in good shape is a great buy.

bkharmony- Great advice. I'll keep my eyes open on for a great deal on a used guitar either Gibson or Taylor.

I'm heading back today to GC to try a couple other things. Swapping my lonestar strat for a roadhouse and looking for a trade for my tweed blues deville 4x10 60w....

I've traded my Lonestar for a Roadhouse (strats, sorry). Even swap, not bad. The original Blues Deville has now been traded for a blues jr NOS and some in store credit. There's an awesome used Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Studio cutaway for sale. But for $1999.99, I might have to wait awhile for something else. Great guitar though! I think I'm going to find a basic Gibson acoustic that is affordable, but nice. I can live with a little players mojo, just as long as the guitar itself is solid...

That's my 2 cents. (Hey' date=' I just noticed for the first time that the cents symbol is no longer included on a qwerty keyboard. I definitely remember there being one when I studied typing back in the 70's... hmmmmmmmmm)[/quote']

The "¢" symbol is a casulity of inflation, which is only accelerating of late.

Soon the "$" will go away for whatever symbol is used for the Euro.

That said, what Microsoft does often times "makes on ¢ents"!!

Archived