Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson should make a parlor !

aymeric22

I'm looking for a good litlle picking/slide blues guitar.

The only Gibson is the limited edition Keb Mo, which is just arrived, but only 300 models, and.... 3000$. The Epiphone Bluesmaster isn't done any more. Only the RJ L1 is a 12th fret, but not really a little guitar, neither are the L-00.

A lot of nice unexpensive parlor can be found, Larrivée, Art&Lutherie, Simon&Patrick, Washburn, Tanglewoog, Seagull... mostly canadian guitars.

I try to stay faithful for Gibson/Epiphone, but obviously to get that I have to go in an other brand...

I'm a big fan of the B-25. Yes it has its limitations, but it's a fantastic little X braced guitar, one could call it parlor sized, and if you get a good one you will become an immediate fan. Another plus is pricing...for a sixties guitar you are going to be a bit above or a bit below the $1,000 mark. I have one and it sees plenty of action.

BTW....My "coach" has a '65 B-25E. I get to play it on occasion. It isn't a LOT smaller than my Epi PR350E but plays like a dream. I'm used to my Epi and love playing it, but it wouldn't take long to get used to his B-25.

Dean

Too bad they dont' make those little Archtop Parlor sized guitars from the '20's.........

I don't know - I have owned a couple of L-3s but ended up dumping them because the small body Stromberg and Kay Kraft archtops simply were louder with a fatter sound.

Whe it comes to a big box, there is no guitar I would rather own than a Gibson but the best pre-1940 flattop parlor guitars I have ever played remain the Oscar Schmidts.

Isn't the Epi EL-00 a Parlour guitar?

While a 00 (14" wide) size like the L00 is small by today's standards, back in it the 1890s it was considered a considered a "concert" model. What we now called "parlors' were 11"-13" in width. The first Martin (they set the nomenclature) advertised as a concert model was its style 0 (13.5"). 000 (15") was designated a "grand" concert, and 000/M (16") an auditorium, or, in current usage, a small jumbo. So a parlor would be a wee thing, and the ones mentioned here --L1,L20, the Arlo-- would be "small concerts."

So, should Gibby make a parlor (or, more to the point, is there a market for one)? Gibson flattops post-date the parlor era, so Id suspect buyers would tend to be looking for the larger models. But that L20 is a sweet lil' thing, wouldt mind seeing a run of those out there.

The EL-00 (or the Bluesking) is bigger than a parlor, and it's not a 12th fret. To me better for flatpicking than fingerpicking.

The Arlo Guthrie is a 14th fret too, and it's a 3/4, so nut width, scale, everything is smaller... :

So' date=' should Gibby make a parlor (or, more to the point, is there a market for one)? Gibson flattops post-date the parlor era, so Id suspect buyers would tend to be looking for the larger models. But that L20 is a sweet lil' thing, wouldt mind seeing a run of those out there. [/quote']

I do think that there's a market for a parlor. To me they should do that parlor instead of the Arlo.

The success of the Keb Mo signature will prove it, everybody remember the Epiphone Bluesmaster even if it's not done any more, and almost each brand has a parlor...

And you're right, I forgot the L20 (this time Rosewood), but again a limited model.[drool]

Archived