Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage Pedals

EVOL!

I am having a dilemma and wanted to see what you cats think.

I have an original Maestro Phase Shifter pedal (see photo below. this one is not mine, it's a stock photo I found on the internets). This pedal sounds great when on, but off it is a huge tone suck. This coupled with the fact that it is built to be a counter top effect and not on your pedal board and you can see why it does not get a lot of action. I use a pre-Dunlop Phase 90 for this affect.

My dilemma is whether to sell the pedal (I have seen them go for $250-$300 US on ebay) and use the cash to get a Deluxe Memory Man or spend the cash to

- Have this pedal wired for true bypass

- Have a foot switch built. They originally came with one and my locale pedal guy said he could build me one.

I am not a gear collector so if something does not get regular use from me I get antsy to sell it and use the cash for new gear.

photo_2.jpg

If you have something else - like your Phase 90 - that does the job just as well, I'd sell it.

I wouldn't go drilling it to add a switch; it's a rare old box and it'd be a shame to carve it up. If you want to use it on a pedal board, you could go with a loop pedal; Analogman builds custom switches like that:

http://www.analogman.com/switchbox/index.htm

I have the MXR Paperweight set up as a loop box.

If your amp has a true bypass fx loop that can solve the prob. If not you can spend the bread on installing one in your amp.

My amp is a mid sixties Silvertone 1484. I don't see that happening.

Give it to your local pedal guy.

Ask him to see what he can come up with.

Just looking at it I would say if at all possible take the circuit out, put it in a new, functional stomp box that is true bipass.

Create a new pedal based on the original one. That's what I'd do.

I did research the pedal and the mod people do is to make it true bypass. That isn't too hard, but if I do it I am keeping the pedal since that mod will decrease it's value exponentially. For the foot switch, that is easy. My pedal guy has the schematics for one. There is a plug in the back of the unit for the foot switch so no mod needed there. The problem is that my funds are limited to do these upgrades. [biggrin]

What spurred this on is a recent itch to thin the herd by selling off gear I don't use so I can use the cash to knock some items off of my wish list: Fuzz Factory, Deluxe Memory Man, and an MXL microphone.

I did it. I posted four pedals on Craig's List: Yardbox, Maestro Phase Shifter, Blues Driver, and Cool Cat Chorus. Send me a private note if are in the Chicago area and want the links to the listings.

Archived