Gibson Brands Forums

The J-200 Vine

maninblack

Does anybody have one? I have found a custom, one of a kind version with a solid black top and translucent black/gray back and sides over HEAVILY quilted maple. (a visual effect not unlike gathering storm clouds) It has abalone trim on the back, front and sides like a D-45 (but more gorgeous). The sound is large and quite lovely.

What's a fair price for a new J-200 Vine? Its hard to find any information since they've stopped making them and they didn't make many to begin with. Curious to hear what you all think of these. Too pretty to play? Too much bling - not enough bling? Dream guitar?

I've always thought they were really cool, but perhaps too expensive to seriously consider. I went with a J-45 Vine instead (which I love). Finding this one in my favorite color is causing me to do some real soul searching.

Too much bling - not enough bling?

No such thing as too much bling on a stage guitar. But I'd like to shake the hand of the man' date=' or woman, who thinks it's not enough bling! These make Taylor Swift's rhinestone-covered guitar look pretty quiet and unassuming by comparison.

On the other hand, my J-200 Royal -- called "Val", after her builder -- is a bit fancier than a J-200 Vine, and I love her just as she is. Most guitars couldn't get away with all that bling without looking tacky. But Val pulls it off with grace, aplomb, elegance, and dignity.

[img']http://www.gibson-homecoming.com/J-200.jpg[/img]

J-200_front.jpg

J-200_back.jpg

J-200_back_closeup.jpg

J-200_neck_closeup.jpg

C'mon! You know you want it!

-- Bob R

What's a fair price for a new J-200 Vine? Its hard to find any information since they've stopped making them and they didn't make many to begin with. Curious to hear what you all think of these. Too pretty to play? Too much bling - not enough bling? Dream guitar?

I have had two of them over the years....a new 2005 model and a used 2005 model.

I purchased both just to re-sell since my fear of scratching them always kept me

from enjoying them.

I paid around 5K for the new one which was heavily discounted from the starting price.

The used one sold for about 3K but that was a fluke. The seller was liquidating

a family members collection in an estate sale.

Wow. Wow. Wow. You all have convinced me that I am a guy who likes a guitar to sparkle. Do these sound as good as they look????

Do any internet dealers other than Fuller's carry these Custom Artshop models? It might be worth looking into before pulling the trigger on the black beauty vine. The dealer I'm working with seems pretty firm at 6.7k. That feels a little high to me, but I just don't know what's "right" with a one off model like a black J-200 vine.

Check out this guitar here:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Jumbo-Acoustic-Guitar-Ebony-FBoard-InlaysSOLID-TIMBERS_W0QQitemZ140373961329QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Musical_Instruments_Instruments?hash=item20aef0aa71

If that price is anything to go on, they shouldn't be very expensive. Oh, wait, I forgot, They're GIBSON guitars. I saw one for AUS$ 15,000 when they first came out. Nearly got it too.

Archived