Gibson Brands Forums

Help please!!!!!!!!!!

silentpimpsmack

My name is Travis, im from Virginia. I am trying to buy a custom gibson but gibson has not helped me at all trying to figure out what the hell it is made of or what year it is or how many were made. The orange sticker says it is a AJ Birdseye , Bozeman Montana Number 01068032. I was told by the seller only 35 were made. Maybe thats why gibson cant really help me? I have been trying all day to find one even similar and cannot. either way he wants $2,900 is this crazy. IMG]

thanks for any help. i just put a direct link to my pics and it is not the electric les paul guitar it is the acoustic.

Back to top PM EMail Report Abusive | Report SPAM

http://s760.photobucket.com/albums/xx250/KristaAndTravis/Guitars/

Don't mean to hijack the post--but how can you tell the year via the guitar's serial number? Buc figured it was an '08 because the serial number was 01068032. Can anyone shed some light?

First and fifth digits are the year. Digits 2-4 are the day of the year, in this case the 106th day of the year of 2008. The last three are indicate the number of instruments produced that day, this particular instrument being the 32nd. This is my understanding of the current Gibson serial number scheme.

Seems spendy for this guitar. If you've played it and really like the sound of the maple body, perhaps it's worth the money to you. But for me, I just think about all the truly great guitars I could buy for $2900---it's a long list. The old saying is "act in haste, repent at leisure" might apply. If I were you, I'd take a few days and look around to see what else I could find in this price range, and if I still wanted this one, then I'd do it.

I agree with Billy Tweed. It seems spendy to me too. And don't fall into the trap of "there were only x number made" That's just marketing, and it don't mean a thing if there's no demand for the guitar. Frankly, a maple AJ, I'd have to play it first, and at that price for a used one, it better be real, real, good.

Archived