Gibson Brands Forums

Is this stand safe on nitro finish?

Tux

I would only use stands with nitro guitars for gig use or practice, then return them to their case, regardless of whether a stand is deemed safe by the manufacturer (have you asked them yet?).

Some people wrap cotton cloth on the parts of the stands that touch the guitar.

I use Hercules stands for gigs and haven't had any bad effects. Only my cheap poly coated guitars ever stay on stands in the house.

I'm not sure about that one. I use the Quik-Lok stands. They come in 3, 5, or 7 guitar models. The advertise that they're safe, but I always line all the parts which come in contact with the guitars with a soft cloth. Diapers seem to work well and are fairly inexpensive.

I also use Hercules stands, but still cover them with cloth too. Even though companies advertise that their stands are safe, I don't want to take the chance.

• 1 month later...

the Rockstand 3-axe model has black foam with a smooth covering on it. After about a month, I noticed that my $#*nder guitar with a nitrocellulose topcoat (Highway One) made an ugly sound when I picked it up, like the foam was stuck to the finish - kind of like a thigh un-peeling from a hot black vinyl - SO I'd be afraid that the Rockstand foam is not safe for nitrocellulose lacquer.

I have several Rockstands by Warwick.

Great stands.

I also have three Quicklok A frame stands and they did leave marks on my Les Paul and 335 after just a couple months. By the time you notice, it's too late.

I covered two of my Rockstands with bath towels cut up and Velcro sewn to them to keep them in place.

Thanks to my mother in law!

Check out the pics in the link below, you can kinda see.

Use white cotton to cover ANY foam rubber, I don't care if the manufacturer says it's nitro safe.

Archived