Gibson Brands Forums

Dyeing Bone Pins

LesLawrence

Well Les' date=' what's the status on the soaking bridge pins? Did you get the shade you were looking for? Love to see pictures.......[/quote']

The result was ok but not as good as I had hoped. I will post pictures later in the week when I have more time. The pins I have are with a black dot inlay. The area surrounding the dot did not take the stain as well as the rest of the pin. The pin roots came out well but nobody will see those.

Les

You know... eusa_whistle.gif if we discuss this long enough they will yellow with age... #-o

I'm just curious.... Do people that don't like 'new looking' guitars, not like that 'new

car smell?".

Maybe I could go into business 'aging' new automobiles. All I'd need would be a

dirty buffer bonnet, wax stripper, a shopping cart and a quart of baked beans.

Wax stripper to get rid of that 'nasty' new car glare, dirty buffer bonnet and shopping

cart to apply that 'patina of honest wear' and the baked beans.....well.... let's just

say to cut that "new car smell".

8-[

Maybe I'm just a little out of touch, but I enjoy 'newness' once in a while. 8-[

Maybe stronger tea or using Black tea as opposed to Orange Pekoe would make

them a tad darker?

Maybe stronger tea or using Black tea as opposed to Orange Pekoe would make

them a tad darker?

Just wanted to note that Orange Pekoe is (a grade of) black tea. (Black tea grading is determined by how fine a mesh the tea will fall through, and "Orange Pekoe" means the tea is medium-sized -- neither fine and powdery nor big unbroken leaves.) Maybe this will save someone a trip to the store.

-- Bob R

The result was ok but not as good as I had hoped. I will post pictures later in the week when I have more time. The pins I have are with a black dot inlay. The area surrounding the dot did not take the stain as well as the rest of the pin. The pin roots came out well but nobody will see those.

Les

The area surrounding the inlay probably will never darken. The glue used on the inlay might have filled in the pores in the bone.

The area surrounding the inlay probably will never darken. The glue used on the inlay might have filled in the pores in the bone.

I was thinking the same thing.

I just had another idea but it depends on how badly you want antiqued pins. There are ceramic paints available at arts and crafts stores. They are designed to adhere to bone (bone china) but you might need a sealer on top of it. You'd only have to do the top that's exposed above the bridge. There's likely a wide variety of colors, including pale yellow, off white, cream, etc. Send your wife in to check it out!?

I was thinking the same thing.

I just had another idea but it depends on how badly you want antiqued pins. There are ceramic paints available at arts and crafts stores. They are designed to adhere to bone (bone china) but you might need a sealer on top of it. You'd only have to do the top that's exposed above the bridge. There's likely a wide variety of colors' date=' including pale yellow, off white, cream, etc. Send your wife in to check it out!?[/quote']

If he has inlays, wouldn't it be pretty hard to paint around them? Just a thought. Here's another thought, for an extra $7.00, you could get a set from Bob C.

If he has inlays' date=' wouldn't it be pretty hard to paint around them? Just a thought. Here's another thought, for an extra $7.00, you could get a set from Bob C.[/quote']

That's what I meant when I said 'it depends on how badly you want them'. LOL You could just take a Q-tip and dab the paint off the inlay. This kind of stuff is no big deal to me because I do this kind of work all the time. Did you see my 'diamond-inserted-into-capo' thread? How much is a set of vintage bridge pins from Bob? $32.00 or something like that? Plus shipping. I can't even get a set up here. I'm going to end up painting plastic LOL

Archived