Gibson Brands Forums

A question for the Pros

J-Man

My grandfather just passed down an early guitar he had when he was a child. He is currently 88. He says its a Gibson Flat Top. I'm on here because the only numbers on it are where the neck comes into the body on the inside. They are 7732 with a red 38 underneath these stamped numbers. The red 38 looks like its been handwritten with an old chalk pencil. I've got the photo of my grandfather when he was a young boy holding it. I know its old. Any idea of the model or timeframe or anything. Thanks and I'm sorry that is all the info I have on it. If you have ?s please ask and I'll do my best to answer them.

Thx a million

Jason

Do you have any pics of the entirety of the guitar taken from the front?

Looks to me like it could be a Nick Lucas, L00 or LG2.

Any old Gibson is worth restoration...especially if it has family history and sentimental meaning to you.

Do you play?

here u go

Original picture with my grandfather shows the guitar being black with a white pickguard. my dad slightly cracked it when he was young and had the intention of fixing it, then he passed away. Don't know if the sanding killed all the value, but it's full of history and sentimental value.

but it is a gibson>? If the numbers inside are right and I'm assuming they are the blue book is saying its a 1910 model and it's number 38 out of a batch of 40.

Numbers are 7732 and there is a red 38 in chalk pen underneath.

Picture of my grandfather holding it was taken when he was 17 or 18 and he's 88 now. Too tired to figure the math, but that seems about right.

Jason

Go to the topic 4 Gibsons dressed in black. There are three black L0 guitars with white pickguards. This guitar dates to around 1934,35. I think the last number is actually the letter B

Restoring the guitar with the original black finish would be expensive and that is without knowing what other repairs the guitar may need. The fingerboard is heavily worn. Some one played this guitar a lot! The bridge is original. The tuning machines can be replaced easily with new reproductions.

If it were mine I would find a place to display the guitar where it won't be damaged by heat or dryness. If you play guitar then take it to some one that can give you an estimate of what it needs to be playable, again I wouldn't be concerned about the original finish. To me this is the original finish.

Terry

Thank you very very much for your response. Would it be monetarily feasible to make this guitar playable or should I just put it up the way it is and continue to learn on my ratty old cj conn. Thank you again TM.

About the worn fingerboard, my grandfather and his brothers played everyday without fail until he went into the Army Air Corps for WWII.

I recommend you contact George Gruhn or someone at his shop at Gruhn Guitars in Nashville...and send him photos. He'll tell you what its worth, how it should be repaired to preserve its value, etc. You can locate the number via 411. George Gruhn is the master guru of vintage guitars and pre-WWII models and pricing.

Hope this helps.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I agree with "TM". The last of the four ink stamped characters looks to be a "B". A factory Order Number in that format, ink stamped characters ending in a letter, followed by the handwritten numbers, would date this guitar to 1936 as designated by the "B".

Due to the fact that this guitar was an economy model when built (under $50), the finish and logo have been sanded off, the pickguard and tuners are missing, and something about a "crack", this guitar does not have any vintage/collector/antique value.

That fact it has sentimental value may make it worth the investment to make it playable to YOU. From the pictures, it looks like the minimum it might is only take tuners and bridge pins (and strings of course), thats $50-$75 worth of parts. Any major refinish or restoration would not be economically feasible in the real world market.

The wife and i talked about it. We are going to get the strings and everything put back on it and we are going to put it on display with the picture of my grandfather and my brother. I'm going to buy a different gibson to learn on. There are alot for sale really reasonable right now. Thank you everyone for your help!

Jason

It looks like an L00 to me...they are fabulous guitars.

The question I would ask myself if I was in your position is, what would your Grandfather want you to do with the guitar? Would/does he want you to have the guitar fettled into shape (it wouldn't take much to make it playable by the looks of it) so you could play it and enjoy it, or would he want you to have it displayed so you can protect it and admire it?

There are pros and cons to both.

I, personally, would love to see that guitar back in playing condition...I reckon it would be a full-bore tone monster.

Your gramps had good taste in gutiars! Agree, looks like a 30s L-series, most likely L0 or L00. A nice piece for sure,but maybe not one for a learner or for more contemporary styles. Its value depends in part on how ready to play it is. Neck straight? Cracks or loose braces? bridge on solid? lift behind the bridge? height of strings when on.

As is, might get some lowball offers if go to trade. it. Might have better luck selling on a forum (like this one) but would need to answer the questions noted above.

Archived