Gibson Brands Forums

? 4 those w/ electronics in the "box"

sjl200

Do you use a particular instrument cable?

Do you think "dedicated" acoustic cables are worth the money?

Do you think any thing above "radio shack" makes a difference?

I ask because the price points on cables is very wide IMO and I was wondering, is this area worth the money?

I have a cheapo short cable and a long good quality cable - can't remember the brands.

The good one is noticeably better but not massively - you can tell though.

The good one cost about £20 and the cheap one was about £5.

I only use the good one now when playing live.

Yes, high-end instrument cables can and do make improvements in the quality of the signal they pass. The question is are these improvements worth the money. This, like most of the other finer points of sonic quality, depends on how critical your ears are and your tolerance for what can be perceived as "less than the best."

IMHO, most of these tiny adjustments we make in our rigs to acheive guitar tone nirvana are completely lost on anyone but ourselves. Listeners are never as critical of our playing nor our tone as we are oursleves. Bone pins v. plastic, phosphor bronze v. 80/20, turtleshell picks v. nylon........he said she said. Same thing, pretty much.

So indeed, high quality audio cables will make a difference in your perceived tone, as will many other small tweaks to the overall system. Are they worth the extra cost? That, my friend, is entirely up to you!

Do you use a particular instrument cable?

Do you think "dedicated" acoustic cables are worth the money?

Do you think any thing above "radio shack" makes a difference?

I ask because the price points on cables is very wide IMO and I was wondering' date=' is this area worth the money?

[/quote']

1. No

2. No

3. No

I don't buy Radio Shack and don't buy generic cables, like the ones in giant piles at GC. I try to use the average price range as a guide. e.g., most 20' cables go for $15-$20, so I stay around there. Most branded cables have lifetime guarantees, so there's that.

I buy average quality and I've never had a guitar cable go bad on me in 12 years. But I've had plenty of XLRs bite the dust, and I've definitely skimped on those in the past, buying the generic Guitar Center garbage.

Archived