Gibson Brands Forums

A good (tube?) amp for jazz?

Toma

As a working jazz guitarist' date=' I can not think of a single reason, under any circumstance, in which you would need a 120 watt amp to play jazz guitar.[/quote']

You could ask George Benson ;-)

BTW... 12 to 28 lbs. for the different Polytone-Amps doesn`t seem too heavy, does it? And for solid state amps... I read somewhere they need to double the output-power to sound as loud as a tube amp... But of course I could be wrong...

Yeah, solid state in general seems to require more "power" for the same degree of loudness.

I think there are a lotta reasons to buy various sorts of amps. I do think that for small gigs, super power is not necessary; on the other hand, if "clean" sound is the desire, there are a lot of options both tube and solid state, and you likely want enough power that the specific amp doesn't have to be overdriven. Usually if something along the lines of a Deluxe Reverb is getting overdriven for jazz, it's time to mike it through a PA anyway.

It seems to me there's not much need to make a fetish of amplifiers. The guitar and its "feel" for the player seems prime to me, along with good electronics on the instrument and good wiring to the amp. Gold plating guitars and amps, both literal and metaphorical, isn't nearly as necessary as good practice habits and a pleasing performance style.

Once you're in a room... there are a lotta variables that affect the sound. What the heck, that's why the big venues for major sorts of concerts spend so much money on design for acoustics, etc.

I'm not saying one shouldn't seek a good quality amp - it's just that there are a lotta variables that go beyond the combination of guitar and amp once one is in a performance venue. To me, that "perfect sound" in one's bedroom or living room, or basement or favorite saloon ain't gonna be the same elsewhere...

I don't think I'm saying that as an excuse for "doing the cheap," but rather that quality to me means reliability and practical moving to gigs while offering a sound that pleases the audience and doesn't require a Carnegie Hall rig to do so in a saloon where I'm most likely to play.

m

As a working jazz guitarist' date=' I can not think of a single reason, under any circumstance, in which you would need a 120 watt amp to play jazz guitar.[/quote']

All of the Polytones are 120+ watts, and they seem to be very popular with a lot of jazz guitarists....

I've been using Acoustic Image Corus+ or Coda amps for the last eight years for almost all my gigs. They are light (20 lbs!), powerful (800 watts!), sound great with an archtop, and generate more than enough volume for any gig that I've done that doesn't need to have the whole band run through a sound system. The cabinet design helps reduce feedback problems while still providing excellent dispersion and coverage.They also have a bunch of useful features, including a switchable tweeter for acoustic guitars, and will handle bass, vocals or even piano.

Here's my complete jazz rig:

4344055785_f8363e0ceb_o.jpg

Danny W.

for jazz a lot of people want first and foremost a lot of clean headroom. 120 watts will give you that.

I also have a friend who plays Fenders through his marshalls, and Gibsons through his Fenders. Fender has made a lot of great amps for a long time, and there are also a ton of good used silverface fender amps out there for the taking. if that's the sound you want, go for it.

I like the sound of my "64 Byrdland and other guitars through my '64 Fender Deluxe Reverb the best, and through my "66 Deluxe Reverb second best. They are only 22 watts but they are as loud as I ever need and I can get just about any tone I can imagine. If I need more volume then, I go through a PA. I have experimented with different tubes and find that I can get more headroom when needed by just using different tubes. I have had many amps both tube and solid state but, I keep going back to thr Deluxe Reverbs.

[cool] FYI, I also have a Polytone MiniBrute III which is 100 watts RMS and has a 15 " speaker. Some people rave about them for Jazz and some use them for Bass. If anyone can use it, I would sell it cheap (approx. $175.) plus shipping.

I guess maybe I'm the biggest "Gibson Snob" around here.

I ABSOLUTELY REFUSE TO PLAY A GIBSON GUITAR THROUGH A FENDER AMP. You'd have to pry my L-5 from my cold dead hands before you'd see me plug it in to a Fender.

That's kinda weird... But whatever floats your boat... I don't care for Fender 6 string guitars ... But I do love their tube amps and their basses...

I am also a working (part time) Jazz player... Mostly for a swing/big-band...

My favorite Jazz amp has got to be the Deluxe Reverb... I don't own one... But I will get around to that.. I have a Fender blues deluxe and a Blues Junior (I use at home and for backup)...

The Twin Reverb is a great amp aside from the fact that it's a monster to haul and it acts as a space heater which is one thing you don't want during an Arizona summer...

I still want to know your opinion Rivera amps...

Archived