Gibson Brands Forums

New SJ200 in the house- Question on pickups

bigshot

I just got a new toy...

gibson1.jpg

gibson2.jpg

2007 Gibson SJ200 Custom Quilt Maple

It has an undersaddle pickup, but I plugged it in last night and I didn't care for it much. My old jumbo had a great Fishman with both an undersaddle and a mike. I was looking around and I found the Fishman Ellipse Blend, which looks similar to what I had before (except with the sound hole control rather than cut into the side). Has anyone had any experience with this pickup?

The problem is, there appears to be several variants on the Fishman Ellipse Blend... "wide" or "narrow" and "Ellipse Blend" or "Ellipse Matrix Blend". I'm guessing "wide" would be right for large guitar like this, and "ellipse blend" is just the mike and preamp without the undersaddle. I suppose I could use the stock undersaddle. Is the undersaddle pickup in my SJ200 a Baggs or a Fishman?

Thanks for reading!

Steve

Welcome! That is a real looker! I suggest since the guitar is new to you, don't plug it in for awhile. Get to know your guitar acousticly first. And play it often, wood does have a "break-in" period as it opens up. Then get into the electronics later. Your ears by then will have a better reference point as well.

The under saddle pickup is a piezo, and it isn't much of a surprise that you don't care for it.

One simple solution that might make it a lot better is to get a tube preamp (ART MP, for example) and put it through that before going to the amp. This would add a lot of warmth at very reasonable expense.

Another thing you can try is to use the under saddle pick up and reinforce it with an Audio Technica 2021 condenser ($50 on eBay). If your acoustic amp is like mine, you have instrument and mic inputs - so this set up will work very well and give you a great true acoustic enhancement to fill out what the pick up is not getting to the speakers.

Ideally, use the preamp and the 2021. That's the ticket.

I hve a J-100 XT Maple, and the first thing I did was pull that quacky Fishman out and install a K&K Pure Western Mini. I have them in four guitars now. My buddies can close thier eyes and tell me what guitar I'm playing at a show. Try that with a Fishman undersaddle. Makes every guitar sound the same.

Good luck!

David

Beautiful SJ-200 Bigshot!(I hate you) I was looking at the Fishman Matrix Infinity that someone mentioned on this forum and it also mentioned Wide or Narrow. As I read further it seems this has to do with the width of your saddle slot and not the size of the guitar. In your case, a large, gorgeous, SJ-200!! (I hate you)

(Did I mention I hate you?) I'm kidding, but I do LOVE your new axe. Happy pickin'!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived