Gibson Brands Forums

NASCAR Fans... looking for your opinions...

ChanMan

Backstory:

Five years ago I started a NASCAR Fantasy league. No money, so no one gets pissed off. We play for "The Cup", which is litterally a 32 oz. Yellow plastic drink cup from one of the races that says "Nextel" on the side. (We did mark out the Nextel with a Sharpie Marker and write "Sprint" on it when the Series changed sponsors [biggrin] ) The rules basically allow us to have 2 drivers on our team. We have a random drawing for Round 1 picking order, and follow a reverse order for Round 2. You get whatever points your driver scores for the week... team with the most points after Homestead wins the cup.

Here's "The Deal":

Ok, picked up Tony Stewart in the first round, but am still undecided about Round 2. These drivers have all been picked:

Jimmy Johnson, Jeff Gordon, Stewart, Hamlin, both Busches, Keselowski, Harvick, Montoya, Newman, Kahne, Bowyer, Logano, Dale Jr., Vickers, Mark Martin, Kennseth, Biffle, Reutiman and Edwards. (See my predicament?) There are still a couple of picks left before my last pick... I'm thinking one of these three: Jeff Burton, Martin Truex, Jr. or Jamie McMurray....

But.... I dunno. If you follow NASCAR, got any ideas?

I'd love to hear your thoughts...

I have to pick tomorrow by 5 pm.

I'd go with Martin Truex Jr.

Burton is on the best team (RCR), but he's been pretty flat the last couple seasons.

I like McMurray, but I don't think much of the Earnhardt/Ganassi team.

That leaves Truex who had a good season last year. I also think that the Michael Waltrip team will be a lot better since Michael will be managing full time instead of owner/driver/manager.

Truex' average finish in 2009 was 21.9, Burton 18. The question really is how well will Martin do with MWR. The program seems really strong, I gotta say.

No faith in DEI? Dale Sr. is rolling over in his grave.... [biggrin]

I like McMurray, too. He drove for me last year..... I think he is a good match for DEI/Ganassi. I'd need considerably better perfomance from him this year in order to be a contender.

Only one pick left before mine now... (one of the guys picked Reutiman as I was starting this thread)

Well Kevin Harvick because he can win and surprise everyone. Dale Jr...no ...he needs to be on Rcr if he is gonna win a cup or a few more races....

Both taken... but the good news is, my wife got Harvick. She's already picked... got Edwards and Harvick... a pretty good team, I'd say.

Dale Jr. is gone, too. His team mate is Kennseth.

Want to know what the teams are so far?

McMurray will have Truex's old ride. Truex did pretty well with it...

I placed 2nd the year I had Jeff Burton on my team, though....

See what I mean [laugh]...

So is there anyone I'm not considering that I should?

Derrike Cope.... <wink wink, nudge nudge>?

Danica? At least she'll be the best looking pissed off chick at the race!

LOL... She's not scheduled to drive full time for the Sprint Cup, or I'd consider it!

Looks like the top drivers have been taken up through #19, except Ambrose, who finished 18th.

Still looks like either Ambrose or Truex... I did some reading on Jayski and McMurray has a one year only deal, and Bass Pro Shops is only sponosring half the season....

Pick the hillbilly that's best at going fast and turning left.

Sorry, Jimmy Johnson is taken. He's been the best "hillbilly" for a while now. Ryan Newman, the "Hillbilly" with the degree in Vehicle Structural Engineering, is also taken.

Thanks for at least trying to understand the question!

Archived