Gibson Brands Forums

good acoustic?

Silenced Fred

I think acoustics are even more personal than electrics' date=' if that's possible....

I have a Martin/Taylor dealer within 30 minutes from here, and played them all and didn't gel....

My Gibson J45 RW (ebony board/bridge) was love at first sound/touch......

It's all up to you, my friend.

Best of luck.[/quote']

I agree with you there. I played a 3000 dollar taylor, it was ok. I fell in love with one that cost 800. go figure.

I can't decide between the Martin or the Taylor. I prefer the neck on the Taylor, but I think I like the sound a bit more on the Martin. Does anyone have experience with either?

Martin

Taylor

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my fiance and i were in long and mcquade in saskatoon on thursday and ended up adding another guitar to our collection, its a really nice takamine EG440 electro acoustic. great sound and quality for the price. no hesitation in giving you a recomendation for it.

I'm going to head out to a Guitar Center just to play some and figure out what I want. I think what I'm going to do' date=' per my teacher's instructions, get some heavy *** strings, so the neck will straighten out on its own, and either try to trade it in, as is, but I probably won't get any money for it, or more likely, just leave it as a Slide guitar with a high action.

Thanks everybody[/quote']

Just an FYI - "Lights" on an acoustic are 12s, "mediums" are 13s.

I think to get a real neat-o guitar it is advisable to be patient and look in the paper or craiglist.

you can talk down the price and wind up with something great hardly played for half the store price.

I have a Parker event series I can't put down...that i got at a shop for $600...okok, my boyfriend got it for me.

I also got a Martin DC16 for $200...worth every cent.

Ovation is...not my cup.

Alvares is...well, Ani plays it so it must be good xD

Armadillo... <grin>

Actually a lot of "string gauge" has to do with how you play, too...

I've always been into pretty gentle bare finger pickin' and lighter strings - and mostly using an EA electrified to get the greater volume as opposed to using, as I once did, heavier strings and fingerpicks.

When I've used an acoustic to back up old time fiddle players or to do Bluegrass, I've increased the gauge.

In short... a lot depends on what you're pickin'.

Just my own observation.

Also, I think our young lady Izzy kinda hit it with a recommendation not to get in a big rush to get a better buy.

Izzy - I got my Ovations when they were just about the only game in town for EA instruments some 35 years ago. I'm not at all sure what I'd do today given improvement in quality of various EA acoustics, both nylon and steel.

m

Archived