Gibson Brands Forums

Toggle Switch problem

Gradey

Try cleaning it with something like #400 emory cloth. Cut a small piece of emory cloth, fold it in half (so there is abrasive on both sides) and work it back and forth between the contacts. I've never seen a switch need replacing that wasn't physically broken.

If it does need replacing, the original Gibson switches were made by Switchcraft. Here's a couple sources of "aftermarket" switches. Obviously the design is similar, but it's nearly impossible to figure out the manufacturer.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Components:_Switches_and_knobs/3-way_Pickup_Switches/Right-angle_Switch.html

http://www.allparts.com/Toggle-Switch-p/ep-0065-000.htm

Also, GC carries an assortment of "Gibson" branded parts, and some "Allparts" products.

Try cleaning it with something like #400 emory cloth. Cut a small piece of emory cloth' date=' fold it in half (so there is abrasive on both sides) and work it back and forth between the contacts. I've never seen a switch need replacing that wasn't physically broken.[/quote']

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Cleaning it as suggested above sounds good.

Use DeoxIT on the contacts when you have cleaned them.

T21

I will try cleaning as discribed in previous threads. Guitar has been used heavily for 8-9 years

but is still solid. I can solder so if it needs replacing I will replace it. Is it the same one used in the Les Paul?

Thanks

Gene

Find "plumbers tape" at the local hardware store - not 400 grit. Plumbers tape is a very fine polishing cloth' date=' 400 grit is way too coarse and will scar or damage the contacts.[/quote']

Yeah... you're right... on reflection 400 is a bit harsh, 1200 would probably be nearer the mark.... 1200 micro-mesh would be better than SiC paper... and use a bit of DeoxIT as a lubricant.

T21

I will try cleaning as discribed in previous threads. Guitar has been used heavily for 8-9 years

but is still solid. I can solder so if it needs replacing I will replace it. Is it the same one used in the Les Paul?

Thanks

Gene

No the one's in LP's are straight' date=' but the sg ones have that L shape examples...

LP

[img']http://www.stewmac.com/product_images/1lg/1217/Straight_Toggle_Switch_Detail.jpg[/img]

SG

GibsonLTypeSwitch.jpg

• 1 year later...

HI EVERYBODY.....HAD A SWITCH PROBLEM ON MY 60'S LES PAUL TRIBUTE....MERELY TOOK OFF THE SWITCH PLATE FROM THE BACK

SPRAYED A LITTLE GENERATION 2000 CONTACT CLEAN PLUS ONTO THE SWITCH AND CAVITY (SOME WOOD CHIPS WERE EMBEDDED IN THE CAVITY)

AND PRESTO...SWITCH PROBLEMS WERE GONE. I WOULD ADVISE THAT MOST LES PAUL SWITCHES CAN BE PURCHASED QUITE REASONABLY AND INSTALLED

WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS.....I'M NOT SURE IF THAT'S A "WARRANTY ISSUE" OR NOT.....PLEASE ADVISE.....

JIMMY JAZZ

Archived