Gibson Brands Forums

Joan Jett Melody Maker

mwink822

I'm tossing around the idea of getting one of these, but am still undecided as there are not any available at my local Gibson meccas. So that said, what are everyone here's thoughts on the Joan Jett Melody Maker. I dig the one pickup thing and also like the slab body design. This is a guitar that's going to see some pretty hard and steady playing, I was also thinking about an SG Special Faded, but more and more it seems that those are a dime a dozen...I want something that's different.

want something that's different.

Not sure if you can get 'em in the US (Hand made made in Manchester UK) but a Gordon Smith GS1 is a much better guitar all round.

Looks vaguely like a slab body 50's LP.

Single HB or P90 (GS1)

Single HB and strat size SC in the neck position (GS1.5)

or dual HB's or P90's (GS2).

Single or double cutaway.

Even a 12 string version.

Check out the full range : -

....Gordon Smith Guitars....

And yes, I do have one.

T21

Some of what I like about the JJ Melody maker is the body shape, not quite an SG, but not quite an LP DC Special type body and the single humbucker and killswitch on the guitar. Also cool is that it's finished in white. Let's also not forget this is something that while not normally stocked in my local Gibson mecca, is easily acquired in a matter of a couple of weeks. While the above listed guitars look to be fine instruments, I'm not sure 1 because I've not had the opportunity to play them or look them over in person and two I'm not sure whether I can even get them here Stateside. At least with ordering a Gibson sight unseen, I know what I'm in for since I've done it a few times already. But thanks for the alternate suggestion T21.

I suppose that with this it would be useful to clarify the underlying question in my original post: how does a Joan Jett Melody Maker stack up to an SG Special Faded?

• 2 weeks later...

I have one of these Joan Jett Melody Makers..2009. I love it, great guitar. It is just as good if not better of a guitar as the recent Faded Model SG's, and like you said, much less common. This guitar is extremely easy, comfortable playing...slim fast neck (compared to my SG standard), very lightweight and balanced well. Acoustically, this guitar sounds great unplugged (i think this is because the Melody Makers have the electronics cavity on the front of the body(underneath pickguard at vol/tone knob area), as opposed to the back of the body like most Gibsons. The smaller headstock is cool, and the mini-grover tuners are awesome, hold tune great. I changed out the witch-hat knobs for speed knobs because i found them a bit rough on the fingers. The kill switch is a cool feature. All in all,a Gibson for $625,brand new... this is an Awesome Guitar. period.

I am planning on doing some mods to this guitar though : I am going to have it routed for another humbucker at the neck position( just for some more versatility), have some fretwork done (this guitar came to me brand new with fairly rough, sharp edges on the frets...Gibson is slippin' a bit on quality control), and possibly make the finish more glossy. Probably will swap out the Burstbucker 3 for something else too, as I find it a bit brittle, prefer the 490's on my SG standard's a bit better, more rounded and warm. Even though there are some things i want to change, this is still a great guitar. Recommended.

I have one of these Joan Jett Melody Makers..2009. I love it' date=' great guitar. It is just as good if not better of a guitar as the recent Faded Model SG's, and like you said, much less common. This guitar is extremely easy, comfortable playing...slim fast neck (compared to my SG standard), very lightweight and balanced well. Acoustically, this guitar sounds great unplugged (i think this is because the Melody Makers have the electronics cavity on the front of the body(underneath pickguard at vol/tone knob area), as opposed to the back of the body like most Gibsons. The smaller headstock is cool, and the mini-grover tuners are awesome, hold tune great. I changed out the witch-hat knobs for speed knobs because i found them a bit rough on the fingers. The kill switch is a cool feature. All in all,a Gibson for $625,brand new... this is an Awesome Guitar. period.

I am planning on doing some mods to this guitar though : I am going to have it routed for another humbucker at the neck position( just for some more versatility), have some fretwork done (this guitar came to me brand new with fairly rough, sharp edges on the frets...Gibson is slippin' a bit on quality control), and possibly make the finish more glossy. Probably will swap out the Burstbucker 3 for something else too, as I find it a bit brittle, prefer the 490's on my SG standard's a bit better, more rounded and warm. Even though there are some things i want to change, this is still a great guitar. Recommended. [/quote']

Thanks for the input and mini-review. I'm really seriously thinking of getting one of these guys. They just look cool and like something that would be a good solid workhorse...and they're white which definitely gets bonus points in my opinion.

• 1 month later...
I have one of these Joan Jett Melody Makers..2009. I love it' date=' great guitar. It is just as good if not better of a guitar as the recent Faded Model SG's, and like you said, much less common. This guitar is extremely easy, comfortable playing...slim fast neck (compared to my SG standard), very lightweight and balanced well. Acoustically, this guitar sounds great unplugged (i think this is because the Melody Makers have the electronics cavity on the front of the body(underneath pickguard at vol/tone knob area), as opposed to the back of the body like most Gibsons. The smaller headstock is cool, and the mini-grover tuners are awesome, hold tune great. I changed out the witch-hat knobs for speed knobs because i found them a bit rough on the fingers. The kill switch is a cool feature. All in all,a Gibson for $625,brand new... this is an Awesome Guitar. period.

I am planning on doing some mods to this guitar though : I am going to have it routed for another humbucker at the neck position( just for some more versatility), have some fretwork done (this guitar came to me brand new with fairly rough, sharp edges on the frets...Gibson is slippin' a bit on quality control), and possibly make the finish more glossy. Probably will swap out the Burstbucker 3 for something else too, as I find it a bit brittle, prefer the 490's on my SG standard's a bit better, more rounded and warm. Even though there are some things i want to change, this is still a great guitar. Recommended. [/quote']

I was thinking just the same. Putting in a pup in the neck position.

How much would that cost you recon?

Archived