Gibson Brands Forums

Flat Wound Strings

daveinspain

Wow... I just put a set of flat wound 10's on my ES 339, do they feel nice!! I've been wanting to try flat wounds for a while so I finally sprung for the 14 euros and got a set. They feel so smooth and sound great unplugged. It's late here so I'll have to wait till tomorrow to hear what they sound like plugged in. Anyone else using them?

Dave

If you like them after a trial period, next time you change strings you may want to try Pyramid Gold flat wounds, they are made in Germany, these are the strings used by the Beatles through most of the years together. They are expensive here in the states, maybe they are more affordable in Europe.

I use them on my hollow body jazz guitar. They feel and sound smooth and as long as I don't try and bend the wound strings like "D" then they are fine.

My Jazz box is a DeArmond which was a Guild sister company (like Epi to Gibson) and it's modeled after the guild Manhatten.

I also put GHS Bright Flats on my SRV Strat - the are semi-flat wound.

Dave

If you like them after a trial period' date=' next time you change strings you may want to try Pyramid Gold flat wounds, they are made in Germany, these are the strings used by the Beatles through most of the years together. They are expensive here in the states, maybe they are more affordable in Europe.[/quote']

Thanks for the tip... the regular flat wond strings are expensive enough so I don't think I want to spend much more.. I will look into them though....

Archived