Gibson Brands Forums

Two Concerns...

HBTN

First being possibly iffy electronics. When flipping the switch between my Pick-Ups mid not I get a scratching noise coming through on my amplifier. I never noticed this before mainly in part because my previous amplifier was awful (Now I have a Marshall 60 Watt) and because I live in apartments, so I can't really crank it. I noticed this today when I decided it was far enough along in the afternoon I could "jam" for ten or so louder than normal and this is what I got out of it... Normal?

Second being my finish. I have a Worn Cherry LP Studio, and I noticed inside the case, where its stored 80% of the time, where the neck rests on the two supports there appears to be a little but of the color transfering from the finish to the fiborous white interior... Normal?

For some reason my intuition tells me neither of these things are "normal."

I believe its October 2007.

And no - I don't clean it, so to speak, before I put her back in the case. I generally make sure the hands are clean and it gets a quick wipe down before it gets put away. Part of the next paycheck was going towards the cleaning/maintence stuff I havn't had the chance to get yet; guess I'll throw some contact cleaner on the list also.

I believe its October 2007.

And no - I don't clean it' date=' so to speak, before I put her back in the case. I generally make sure the hands are clean and it gets a quick wipe down before it gets put away. Part of the next paycheck was going towards the cleaning/maintence stuff I havn't had the chance to get yet; guess I'll throw some contact cleaner on the list also.[/quote']

Just remember the oils on your hands cause a reaction to most wood and finishes. When you wife down a guitar, you should use something in addition to just a clean cotton cloth. even a damp (not wet) warm cloth is better than nothing (just be sure to wipe it off well... When possible wipe it down with a cleaner after handling it. Virtuoso or others work fast and easy...

As for the crackly switch, I second that emotion above about shooting (a little ) contact leaner on the insife of the switch. Just don't get any on the finish...

I use Trick Guitar Polish. Works great.

A dirty switch might be expected if it was left out, but not if it is case kept. Contact cleaner should work fine....

I can't imagine the color fading. Where did you say you got this guitar? Was it new or used?

It's probably the ground wire (green, at least mine was green).

My Studio was shipped with a crackly switch. And a bridge ground that wasn't touching

the bridge bushing.

You may just have to re-solder the ground wire at the toggle switch, it'll be the wire that

is by it's self. On the opposite side of all the connections on the toggle switch.

Good luck.

When you wife down a guitar' date=' you should use something in addition to just a clean cotton cloth. even a damp ([u']not wet[/u]) warm cloth is better than nothing

My wife would never allow such a thing.................

Archived