Gibson Brands Forums

Pick thickness (Dunlop Celluloid)

Riffster

I am buying some stuff online and I need picks, I prefer cellulose in the traditional shape and I am looking at Dunlop.

The issue is "Meduim" can vary from brand to brand from 0.71mm to 0.88mm and that is too much difference in sound and feel.

I like Martin "Medium" picks for my acoustic because at 0.73mm they are on the thin side and they are bright.

Problem is last time I bought picks they were Medium and yet they were much thicker.

Alright the question is does anybody know the gauge of Medium celluliod Dunlop picks? I could not find it on their website or doing a google search.

Any other brand of celluloid picks where Medium means about 0.80mm?

I use Dunlop nylon and the thickness stamped on the pick corresponds to me as .60 light gray is medium......73 dark gray medium heavy.....

.88 black heavy.........what is a cellulose pick like compared to nylon is my question.......and an apology for not having an answer to your question

and asking one of my own.

IMO nylon sounds too muffled, good for jazz but not my liking for anything else.

I like Cellulose picks because they have a more natural sound to me.

Funny how a $0.30 pick can make such a difference is sound and feel to your overall sound.

I kinda like those really sharp pointy Dunlops because they feel pretty accurate but they totally scratch the **** out of a nitro finished guitar.

I mainly use regular Fender mediums or heavys.

Sorry man this thread has been hijacked all over the place.

The Ultex sharp picks?

Those pics are my main choice...you jsut gona controll the way you pick.

Archived